Katana faults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana faults

I have already posted this in the General section. I've got no help as yet so i thought it would be better here.
    A mate of mine is doing an article in a bike mag on katanas. he wants to add a section on commonly found faults when looking to buy a second hand Kat.
    Any points you could add would be appreciated ..thanks guys!!

cheers Michael

This isn't really a fault but the fairing bracket is poorly designed. The clutch cable and instrument wiring have to pass around a semi- fixed tube that mounts on the outside of the steering head.

Slack in the cable or wiring have to be present to allow for full clipon movement from side to side. Its difficult to route the clutch cable so that it doesn't bind up on the fairing bracket or pinch between the upper and lower triple clamp. Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Michael , Katan's suffer from the same weak points as any GS series bike, obviously stator , reg/rec. problems electrical connector corosion, but you also have to remember there are very few stock Kats around anymore so most have been tried out once or twice so signs of abuse are more likely to be prevalent . Such as worn gearbox bearings, poor shifting , rattly clutch baskets. Couple of other issues are the lower left side frame cracking from people posing on there Kats whilst on the sidestand. And finally a Katana is more likely to have suffered accident damamge at one time or another as alot of people that had them were just try hards , remember they were "squid" bikes of there time.
      Dink

Comment

Thanks for your help guys

cheers Michael

Comment

Probably the biggest of all Katana faults is that Dink has not got his on the road again yet. 'Bout time to call in the RSPCMC. :-)

Kim

Comment

Well the only thing I know it's not an EZ

Is that bad or good
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Apart from the usual GS faults and the fact that Katnas were usually bought to ride hard or race, the main problem is usually the owners....

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
                Apart from the usual GS faults and the fact that Katnas were usually bought to ride hard or race, the main problem is usually the owners....
                And What exactly are you trying to say??? 8O
                Dink

Comment

One really common problem is the choke. The black dial on the lefthand side panel that you turn to adjust the choke will eventually malfuction. The plastic slot where it connects to the mechanism wears out so instead of adjusting the choke the dial will just turn and turn with no effect.
                  A small problem and in my book not enough to stop me from buying a Kat but nonetheless annoying.

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice guys . It's been passed on .
                    I hope this will help others buy a worthy Katana and not be ripped off.

cheers Staff

Comment

What I meant to say..errhmmm...is that when they came out the boy racers bought them. many were treated as boyracers always treat their bikes. Now sedate mature people tend to own and ride them.

This may of course be more insulting to Kata owners

And BTW, I would love to own a Kat....

Comment

Working...
                      X