No announcement yet.

high idle after carb synch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also saved a copy of the tuning instructions. Thanks, earl! I do have a couple questions though:

When you say 10 in Hg, what is that 10 in HG relative to? In chemistry class we learned about how inches of mercury is a measurement of pressure and all. Measurement of pressure goes from 0 in Hg (absolute vacuum) to 29.92 in Hg, which is atmospheric pressure. From there you can go way up in pressure.

But when you're measuring vacuum, not pressure, does 10 in Hg mean 10 in Hg less than atmospheric (29.92) or 10 in Hg from zero? I'm inclined to think that it means 10 in Hg less than atmospheric, but I'm looking for confirmation.

I ask because I may have to do a carb sync with a tool not quite meant for the job, but which still reads pressure.

Thanks!

Michael

Comment

Michael, if my memory is correct, standard atomspheric pressure is 29.92 @ 68F at sea level. Temperature and density altitude modify pressure and that is why it is determined at a specific altitude and temperature..
      From 0 in Hg to 29.92, and upwards, it is all on the same scale. Any reading is a pressure level. 10 in hg is a pressure level. Its just a pressure lower than standard. Since a mercury carb stix is open to atomsphere, then zero on the carb stix scale represents atomsphere. So we can say 10 inches of pressure less than that (what we would have when referring to setting the carbs to 10 inches of vacuum) would be an atomspheric pressure of 19.92

I hope this is at least as clear as mud. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by mopolopo
      I also saved a copy of the tuning instructions. Thanks, earl! I do have a couple questions though:

When you say 10 in Hg, what is that 10 in HG relative to? In chemistry class we learned about how inches of mercury is a measurement of pressure and all. Measurement of pressure goes from 0 in Hg (absolute vacuum) to 29.92 in Hg, which is atmospheric pressure. From there you can go way up in pressure.

But when you're measuring vacuum, not pressure, does 10 in Hg mean 10 in Hg less than atmospheric (29.92) or 10 in Hg from zero? I'm inclined to think that it means 10 in Hg less than atmospheric, but I'm looking for confirmation.

I ask because I may have to do a carb sync with a tool not quite meant for the job, but which still reads pressure.

Thanks!

Michael
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Got it. Thanks.

Michael

Comment

STOP IT!!!!! :x You're giving me a headache!
          HC, hg, Hcgh...phooey!
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
            STOP IT!!!!! :x You're giving me a headache!
            HC, hg, Hcgh...phooey!
            We could use PSI or mm Hg or Pascals or Torr if you like.

Michael

Comment

Ok Michael, in the interest of making life easier for you. Instead of setting your synch to 10 in Hg, you may use 33.865kPa

Earl :-)

Originally posted by mopolopo

We could use PSI or mm Hg or Pascals or Torr if you like.

Michael

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

YOU GUYS are what needs synchronizing!
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

LMAO :-) :-) :-)

Sir Dog

Comment

Are you saying Earl is unbalanced? Because I think you may be on to something there. Keep it down-low though. If he finds out he'll throttle us well. Where's Ron!!? I'm getting choked with laughter! 8O 8O

And I forgot a couple: atm ~= 15 psi and bar ~= 0.69 PSI

Michael

Comment

I'm leaning towards kicking you both in the butt.
                      Jetting over there would cost too much though.
                      I can see what too much exposure to mercury can do to some folks.

Comment

You could be your own pilot when you venturi over here. It's cheaper that way. But if you came over here I'd bowl you right over. I'd fill my idle time with tachy puns between Keith whippings.

Comment

A whipping!? 8O 8) Now I'm getting interested.

Comment

Hmmmm, that would leave you with both feet in the air. Difficult to go anywhere in that position. Wifey just baked a fresh platter of pascals, I'll send you some.

Earl :-)

I'm leaning towards kicking you both in the butt.
                            Jetting over there would cost too much though.
                            I can see what too much exposure to mercury can do to some folks.

Comment

Hi

When you sync the carbs You first sync 1&2 with the screw between them,
                              then 3&4 with the screw between them.
                              Then you sync the left pair & right pair with the screw between them.
                              Then you set the idle with the idle screw.(adjuster)

This is how learned to do it many year ago.

GS1000GLx

Comment

[img]http://nl.msnusers.com/_Secure/0QwAAAAoTQWcSLXewVP9668C4nuzXVpeoar3k*qB2wnVfx7haJ y3UBxQ9YbTU42rizS1OSXbI!0OkKFbkCPT8*t79rowlb1Ncxji hp*joolI/HPIM0521.JPG?dc=4675482883952033471[/img]

#3 doesn't have a adjust screw... what to do?

Comment

Working...
                                X