Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate brand batteries

Hey all,

Lately I've noticed many places carrying their own brand motorcycle batteries - Walmart has Everstart. Some of the auto parts stores have their own batteries. Just wondering if anyone here has experience with the "off" brands? I have heard the batteries JC Whitneys sells are pretty close to some of the name brand batteries in quality.....

Thanks!

Jim

I`ve tried them all. I bought two at advance last year....they SUCKED. ^ months and dead. Yuasa make interstate and batteries for sears. I have had a westco battery in a cbx for 4 years bought at walmart. Normally I wouldn`t have bought one there but got into a bind. Its been a good one. I tend to try to use yuasa but they have the dreaded good one second shorted out the next problem. We call it SDS (sudden death syndrome)on the cbx board. Many there will not use then because of it. Guess its pot luck!

Comment

There are only a few companies that actually make the batteries, but they get rebranded with dozens of other brands. To make things even more confusing, the actual manufacturer of your battery also depends on where you live. Some "house" brands use more than one supplier. Go Googling if it makes a difference to you.

In my GS (rubber-mounted battery box and not much vibration) I use whatever is on sale but I replace it every other year. I do the same for my wife's Honda. In my area of the country (Indiana) almost all the batteries are made by Exide right down the road in Frankfort, Indiana. Never a problem yet. With the batteries, anyway. YMMV considerably.

For my next motorcycle battery, I'm going to get an AGM (absorbed glass mat) or "Gel" battery. There are several places online you can order these for about $60, only $20 or $25 more than a standard battery. They're supposed to last longer, be more vibration resistant, offer more starting power (my bike always starts instantly, so no biggie), and give you whiter teeth, too. Plus, they're sealed so they eliminate the vent hose and the risk of acid droplets on your bike. I want a cool red one.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

stay completely away from champion batteries the last 2 I've purchased only lasted 3 months each. a yuasa or die hard is my choice, more pricy but well worth the expence. have had 4 good riding seasons from both on different bikes and neglected the maintenance for both, makes me wonder how much longer they would have lasted with good maintenance

Comment

Best Friends

Wal*Mart and Everstart are my best friends - cheap and reliable. Never had a problem yet (yet) - plus if you bring in an old battery, you get $5.00 off your new one from Wal*Mart. Plus they come with a warranty!

Hey, what more do you want for $20.00?

Comment

I've had three batteries in my GS in 22 years and they've all been Yuasa. With a seven year average, Why cheap out?

Comment

just look for the ones that are stamped "Made In China". Stay Away!

Comment

Working...
              X