Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between VM26 carbs for GS850 and GS1000 engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The newsgroup you're looking for is:

alt.rec.crafts.metalworking

Populated by lathe types. Some real fanatics. You'll need the measurements from one of the O-ring type 'T's from the VM26's. I had one that was part of Harrison Clement's bank of carbs, but of course I returned it with the carb I borrowed.

Comment

Robert...Brion sent me a message last night that he had located two "T" fittings and they're on the way.
      One is like his original and the other is the kind with the replaceable o-rings. I still have the un-used fuel tube o-rings from your kit. I expect your o-rings to fit well and we'll be all set. Even if the original type fits well, I would rather install the replacable o-ring type. It will be up to Brion.
      As soon as they arrive I can check out the fit of the fuel tube o-rings. Then I can post a "review" on your o-ring kits and actually say I checked ALL the o-rings in the kit.
      By the way anyone, regarding a "home repair" on these fittings...my wife found a site that recommends a product called "Seal-All". This site says they're a group of motorcyclists that tested this product. It's a brush on glue that's fuel resistant, among other things. Dries fast, goes on clear, readily available. The same company makes "Shoe-Goo" and many other products. Sounds like it could work if you have a similar problem and can't get a replacement. Just an option maybe.
      If you're interested in reading about it, the page she printed says:
      First hand reviews. Seal-All Glue, all-purpose contact adhesive & sealant. All of these products, services and shows we used, read or attended so you can be assured our reviews will be useful and unbiased.

I'm too dumb to do anything on a computer except type, so I hope that address works.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I just thought I would check that link and it does work.
        It says "error" but you can go down and click the home page and visit them.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Someday we'll teach you the 'cut & paste' trick...

First hand reviews. Seal-All Glue, all-purpose contact adhesive & sealant. All of these products, services and shows we used, read or attended so you can be assured our reviews will be useful and unbiased.

150 degree upper limit for temperature, though. I'd rather hold out for brand new rubber. No nasty surprises with gasoline. The review mentions that it works for intake boots; I wonder if they're just basting the boots with the adhesive, or what.

Comment

I don't think the bottom of the carbs would reach 150 degrees but...who knows. It was just a suggestion for someone who's completely out of options. I don't endorse this stuff in any way. You would have to examine/test it and decide if it could work. I just mentioned it as a possibility. I too would wait and see if I could locate a replacement before experimenting with sealants.

Comment

Well, I didn't mean to shoot down your suggestion -- and the spec of 150F might be just a CYA thing for lawsuits. I just get nervous about fuel leaks. Where did your 'client' find the 'T' that takes O-rings?

Comment

Robert, Brion said he went to his local dealer who knows him well. They took a pair of carb banks apart for him. I'm pretty sure he knew what to look for. I don't know what models the carbs came off of. I don't have much faith the original type will fit right but I have to believe the one with replaceable o-rings will work. Got my fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                  Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                  MY BOOK GS1000E lists the carbs AS 26mm for the GS1000 and 850 Other than a main jet difference they are the same, if you are installing a jet kit It doesn't matter The 850 is jetted richer than the 1000
                  Lynn, just curious. If you have the carb spec's for both the 850 and 1000, are you saying the only difference you see is the main jet? So, in particular, the air jet and needle jet are identical? That's needle jet, not jet needle.
                  I have the 1000 factory manual spec's but not any technical 850 info. Thanks!
                  Keith, here are the 850 VM26SS specs as given in my F.S.M. Pilot Air Jet: 1.2, Pilot jet: #15, Cutaway: 1.5, Jet Needle: 5DL36-2, Needle jet: 0-6, Pilot outlet: 0.6, Main jet: #102.5, Bypass 0.8 This is for the 850G. There are other specs for model variations sold in different markets. Thanks for your other comments regarding base-line settings for these carbs - I was about to post an inquiry but got what I need from the search engine. Thanks to all of you GS people.

Comment

dodger1, Thank you too!

Comment

Working...
                    X