1150 lunges forward in 2nd with throttle closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 lunges forward in 2nd with throttle closed

Anyone have this happen to you. Accelerating hard in 2nd out of corner, roll off to a fully closed throttle approaching another corner and have the bike lunge forward momentarily and then back to normal heavy engine braking as the revs fall off.

I've been told it may relate to float height as the gas sloshes forward in the floatbowl under hard deceleration. Think there is any truth to that? Thanks for your opinions. Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Never heard of that one. You don`t have the return cable to tight on your carbs causing it do you?

Comment

Re: 1150 lunges forward in 2nd with throttle closed

Originally posted by Carter Turk
      I've been told it may relate to float height as the gas sloshes forward in the floatbowl under hard deceleration. Think there is any truth to that? Thanks for your opinions. Carter
      I don't think so. Isn't the thingy that takes up the gas in the middle of thebowl, meaning that whatever side the gas is toward, it will not affect the gas level at the intake?

Michael

Comment

1150 lunging

CBX Chris,

I run my throttle cable fairly taut, but there's still play at the end. The carb is not being held open. It's happened on more than one 1150 with stock carbs and with the 90 GSXR's. I think it may have even happened on my older 80 1100ET. Its almost guaranteed on a downhill 2nd gear corner where the revs are very high with engine braking and the front brake.

Chris by the way, I got to ride a CBX with a 6 into 6 Staintune pipe. I hate puddering around in town on bike but this way actually enjoyable just listening to the harmonics. What a cool sound. Carter
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I believe this is caused by a combination of the various freeplays in the system , i.e. the cush drive the chain itself the gearbox etc, my 1150 also does this under "race" conditions . I found it very disconcerting at first but have got used to it , I have reuced it slightly by careful attention to chain tension and lube, but havent got rid of it yet.
          Dink

Comment

Working...
          X