project bike many problems 1982 GS750xtscc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

project bike many problems 1982 GS750xtscc

hello ,i have a 1982 GS750x tscc motor id #GS75x-165560. the problem is when i start it oil flows out of the overflow tube .i just bought this bike and it was sitting for a while and also has charging problem with the rectifier getting very hot after running,for that i will be looking at the stator papers once i figure out oil problem. oil in sight level glass is bubbly when running.only ran for a very short time then i shut it off. any help would be appreciated.17000 miles

Re: project bike many problems 1982 GS750xtscc

Originally posted by project1982GS750tscc
    hello ,i have a 1982 GS750x tscc motor id #GS75x-165560. the problem is when i start it oil flows out of the overflow tube .i just bought this bike and it was sitting for a while and also has charging problem with the rectifier getting very hot after running,for that i will be looking at the stator papers once i figure out oil problem. oil in sight level glass is bubbly when running.only ran for a very short time then i shut it off. any help would be appreciated.17000 miles
    What overflow tube are you talking about? (I'm not aware of any oil overflow tube.)

Are you talking about the breather tube from the top of the engine to the breather box?

Michael

Comment

breather tube

yes i guess that is the tube ,i thought it was an overflow .it goes to the bottom of the bike near the brake lever .

Comment

I've never had a GS engine apart so I'm kinda taking a stab at it.

Oil is not supposed to be coming down that tube at all. Perhaps a seal is bad, allowing the oil to be where it should not.

Somebody else will have to help you from here.

Michael

Comment

do an oil and filter change first, then clean out any oil residue in your air filter box and drain.install a new air filter. once that is done start bike and see if you are still getting bubbly oil and spitting it out the tube you speak of.

Comment

project 1982

thanks for all your help.i will try the oil change and filter first. the tube comes from the bottom of the airbox before the air filter.

Comment

hello, when i open the cap on the side where you fill it there is a very strong gas smell also. what position should the fuel petcok be in when turned off? 6 volt or 12 volt?as you can tell this is my first bike. thanks rick

Comment

I was just about to suggest a leaking petcock when I read your last post. The petcock has three positions; run, reserve, and prime. If the petcock is functioning properly and the engine not running fuel should not flow in the run and reserve positions. Prime is to get gas to the carbs with the engine off. Pull the vacuum line off the petcock and see if fuel flows. If it does the diaphram in the petcock has a has a hole or crack. You can get a rebuild kit for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                  I was just about to suggest a leaking petcock when I read your last post. The petcock has three positions; run, reserve, and prime. If the petcock is functioning properly and the engine not running fuel should not flow in the run and reserve positions. Prime is to get gas to the carbs with the engine off. Pull the vacuum line off the petcock and see if fuel flows. If it does the diaphram in the petcock has a has a hole or crack. You can get a rebuild kit for it.
                  Ahhh... So you're theorizing that the oil has a large amount of gas in it, and is this extremely overfilled, causing oil to be where it should not?

Michael

Comment

hello,thank you i will also check the petcok for leaks.

Comment

I think the tube that is being referred to here is the drain for the airbox. There is just enough fuel in the oil to cause massive vaporization of the oil without causing the engine to lock causing broken rods or a twisted crank. I wouldn't run the bike again until I was certain the petcock isn't leaking fuel into the crankcase. I should make it clear that when I said to see if fuel flows that I meant to see if fuel flows from the vacuum fitting on the petcock.

Comment

projet 82 gs750 tscc

hello,after removing the header and the 3 broken bolts for holding it on i changed the oil and the overflow problem went away.now for problem #2 the gear indicator light does not work,also i have a very hard time getting the bike into neutral? also where to find a tach cable as mine is broken?thanks in advance. rick ](*,)

Comment

I would still watch the petcock. I have a similar bike (81 TSCC).

I finally added a petcock that is on/off only (temp solution) to prevent fuel from flowing in. The other thing is, even in prime, the floats should shut fuel off when full, even on prime. I smell (gas, er) a carb rebuild in your future.

Comment

hello, i have the carbs rebuilt now. next problem is fuel gauge, temp gauge,gear ind,side stand, items not working, in the manual it shows that there is some diode any idea where its located? also looking for tubes for the airbox .previous owner melted them alittle somehow on the airbox side. the i.d. on my tubes is 1 15/16 on the carb side. the dealer ordered them from suzuki and 2 times sent part listed but i.d. was wrong 2 1/4 i.d. thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X