Dynojet kit installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plug reading

I don't depend on plug reading too much to dial in a carb. When I first start, if the bike is obviously way out on the air/fuel ratio I will pull the plugs to see which way to go. Also, after I have it running well I like to pull the plugs after putting some mileage on the bike to see how they look. A bike can feel like it is running OK and actually still be lean or rich, but my experience is that it takes some time for this to show up on a plug reading, and there is always the possibility that it may be too rich at high rpms but too lean in the mid range, or the other way around. Anyway, I have just never had very good luck using plug readings to tune, except as kind of a general indicator.

For me, it requires a lot of trial and error to get things where I want them. This means I pull the carbs and change something. I can get it in the ballpark fairly quickly, but then I just have to experiment. Sometimes I get tired of the routine and go with "good enuf".

The Dynojet kit states that their jet numbers are not interchangeable with Mikuni's numbers. I am currently running the Dynojet 114s. I have a set of Mikuni 115s. Does anyone know how they compare?

Comment

Detman 101; Well if I ever had answers to anything, I'm running out of them fast. Short of float height readjusting, I'm at a loss here. I've been thinking about when I restored my 78 1000. It had been leaning against a shed outside for about 10 years, so the owner said anyways. Between cleaning and then rejetting( I didn't buy a jet kit) I had the carbs off more times than I want to admit. And after I got it to the test ride stage, it seem's to me I had the idle screw problem that you have. Being well into yet another tear down and clean out the float bowl scene, I didn't worry about it. Somewhere along the line with all the float height tweeking I was doing it went away and has worked right ever since. I thought at the time,"hey bonus", and forgot about it. So I'm not sure if it was a float tweek or the cleaning that finally did the trick. I would bite the bullet and re-tweek the float height, if it was me. I noticed, on my bike anyway, that the floats in these carbs really don't have alot of bouyancy. You almost need to err on the low side just to compensate. If you get around to finding out what this is on your bike, let me know for sure, I'm curious. Oh and one more thing, I have spent countless hours trying to adjust out that rich idle thing as well. With the stock air cleaner and pipes I almost had it but with the 4 into one pipe and pod filters, forget it. I think it's a valve overlap issue and with the 4 into 1 pipe, that's what we get as a trade off.
      Keith

Comment

Well, I must be getting closer to good.
        I actually got 60 miles out of a full tank yesterday instead of 25.
        So the cleaning and readjustment I did is working out.
        My mixture screws are at 1.25 turns out and my floats are at 23mm.
        I'll readjust then to 22mm and see how it goes.

:?
        Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
        X