taking the head off a 79 gs1000 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

taking the head off a 79 gs1000 question

i see in the manual how to do it but can i leave the cams in and just loosten the head after i release the chain tensioner and get to the inside of the #4 cyl? i dont wanna have to re do the cams and stuff

now heres the story behind it

i was trying to find bdc to set the points and i got attacked by a wasp he got me to and i lost my footing and fell on the rachet that was on the crank bolt which made the piston go to far up and snap off about 3/4" of my screwdriver o well it's a klien i'll get it replaced but i did manage to scratch the piston pretty good but it stayed off the wall i hope

lemme know i got it all apart and just need to relaese the chain tensioner

-Erik

better to have bad luck than no luck at all ](*,) .
    Wish i could help ya .

Comment

head

If you can look down in the cylinder and see that the only thing damaged is some scatchs on the piston then leave it alone, but if it damaged the wall or the edge of the piston over the ring land ares then you are in for a tear down, YES the cams have to come out and the compelete head taken off, untorque the head in reverse order that the numbers that are cast on the head indicates 8-to--1 then retoque 1-to--8, untoque a little at a time as well as retorqueing, final 27 foot pounds , dont forget to tye a wire to the cam chain so it doesn't go down in the case, oh yah I forgot, a mini mag focus type flashlight works real good for looking in the hole

Comment

werd, thanks guys as far as i can tell it's just the piston face

but i got to take the head off to get the piece of screwdriver out

if the wall or anything is fugged up i'm buying a new motor off ebay lol

i might go buy a smaller pencil magnet cause the 2 i got dont fit

i'll let ya know

-Erik

Comment

Try gluing a small piece of magnet to the end of an insulated wire, then maybe fish around in there with that? If you're real careful when extracting, you might be able to pull it out like that..

A chunk of the ferrite ring of a speaker magnet might work well.

Comment

if you have a dead hard drive from a computer the magnets in them are very powerful and also very small.

Comment

Get one of those flexable auto magnet tools and lower the piston down all the way and put the bike on its side stand so the screwdriver piece moves to the left(maybe shake the bike alittle) and then send in the magnetic tool.

Comment

i bought a smaller magnet thing and i couldent find it anywhere i know it didnt fly out and yeah the screwdriver is still broke lol

but i got all the head bolts off the cams out and all that jazz

but the head is stuck on the block how do i get it seperated

i also need a new vavle cover gasket anyone know where i can get one?

thanks a ton,
                -Erik

Comment

Erik, you can get a valve cover gasket herehttp://www.partsnmore.com/PNMSite/Su...e%20Parts.html or this one is made from silicone rubber and reusable, http://www.realgaskets.com/files/motorcycle.htm but if you are taking the head off you might want to go ahead and get the complete gasket set from the firs link. The way that I got the head on mine to break loose was with a rubber mallet just tapping until it broke loose.

Comment

yeah i use a plastic mallet on the vortec 4.3 i was workin on came off easy but thats a cast block and alum heads

i was thinkin about mabye tappin a putty knife in there

and yeah i may aswell get a head gasket and the valve cover gasket i wanna see if i'm even gonna keep this motor fisrt tho

-Erik

........ man i wanna get this thing runnin so i can see how insanely fast it is it ran like a bat out of hell till the coils blew juice

Comment

well i dunno what the hell to do now the ext valve has the piece of screwdriver stuck in there pretty damn good and i'm a try and get it out tomarro but i had to take the cyl's section out with the head cause they are pretty much permantly stuck together cause there is no gasket! grrrrrrrrr

but i will need a new lower gasket and valve cover gasket for shure if i'm gonna keep this motor i'm looking out for a working motor with attached trans i can swap my stator r/r and clutch or whatever, starter if i have to

also the walls arent scratched at all since the tip flew right up in the valve and lodged itself i tried beatin on it to get it to fall w/o luck so far i'm nervous to hit it to hard and i actually think the valve may be stuck all the way out, worst case senario i take the spring out....... if i can, i hate to just pull out the screwdriver cause it may reall fudge the valve seat, mabye i should jsut take ot to the local motor shop

i dunno

/rant

thanks for skimmin

Comment

the head stuck to the cyls

tip of screwdriver stuck in the valve throught the ext port

Tip of brok screwdriver at 12 o'clock on the cylnder

wuts left on the "bike"

one shot of the wheeler itself

Comment

Working...
                        X