Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

poor power, backfiring, and voltmeter goes nuts!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

poor power, backfiring, and voltmeter goes nuts!!

Where to start? I've read hundreds of posts, and with all the information, I've concluded my problem could be carbs, plugs, battery, coils, wires, plug caps, igniter, etc. So, rather than throw all the parts at the bike, I'll try a post before taking it to a shop.

I have an '83 GS550L. It all started when stalling on me (twice) when I tried to accelerate from a stop at an intersection. I pushed it over to the side walk and it still would not start (choke on or off). I waited about 10 minutes. Only with choke on, it started barely. Initially acted as if flooded, then ran ok after a few minutes. I continued on to work. It rode fine for a few more days. Then one morning, I started to head to work, and it had no power in mid to high range. At about 3k rpms and up, it would just bog down. Also, I noticed a little bit of backfire (sounded like right side, but couldn't tell for sure). It could gain some speed on flat stretches, but going up a hill was painful. So, thought maybe it was fuel/air delivery prob (running too rich?). Cleaned carbs (didn't use compressed air or dip them). Put them in. Backfire much worse (definitely out both sides!). Also, I notice pipes 1&4 were turning a little dark (more tan color, not blue - burning?). Gained a little power (could make it up hill without going into 2nd gear). And, when just sitting, revving up to 3k shows the symptoms. So, maybe I didn't get the carbs cleaned quite right. Took them out, dipped them, blew air through them. Check diaphragms - they appear okay. Put back in, same. Changed plugs, same. New air filter, same. Thought maybe it was air leak between engine and carbs. Sprayed w/WD40, no change in idle while spraying. Took out carbs again. Dipped and blew air. Floats were just a hair low. Adjusted them to spec. Still same exact issue. Took apart the petcock. It was clean, and vacuum diaphragm was alright. Getting good fuel flow. Vacuum hose and fuel lines okay. Also tried running on Prime, and Reserve. Same. Took apart and cleaned gas cap. Vent is clean and okay. So then I moved on to check the coils. Primary was around 3-4ohms. Checked secondary, between 2&3 was high (above 50k). Took off plug caps. #3 cap was over 20k. Ah hah! Took out resistor, cut a screw and inserted it to bypass resistor. Put back on, no change! Still backfires and no power when accelerating. It can idle great all day though. I thought maybe carbs were out of sync/balance. Made sure mixture screws were 3.5 turns out (orig location). Same. But from what I've read, that affects idle and low range mostly (right?). I definitely have NO high range. Well, I thought I should check to see what voltage I get at the battery when bike is running. When I move the multimeter within a few feet of the battery area, the meter's LCD goes nuts. I back away, everything okay. So that's where I am. Has anyone ever seen a voltmeter go ape when positioned near the battery when it's running? Could it be because I took the resistor out of the plug cap and that is creating the interference? I'd rather not spend $400-500 (in labor) just to have someone find the problem, nor do I want to spend the same amount just throwing parts at it. Who would? Wife isn't thrilled with all the time I'm putting in, and I have to do it in the apt complex parking lot... I think tonight I will check voltage to coils with ignition on and with bike running (if meter doesn't go crazy). Then I'll check the igniter with bike not running to see what I get. After that, I will want to give up. I can't tell exactly which cyclinder(s) are backfiring, but I can hear it out both exhaust pipes. I called a shop near by, can't get to it for 2 weeks (they said that 2 weeks ago too!). Called another, he said that bike isn't worth much and wondered how much I was willing to spend. I just want to get it running, but don't want someone replacing coils, igniter, battery, etc when the truth of the matter is that it was just 1 of those. All help is appreciated!!

I've been searching to solve a problem I have with my GS1000G. Best of luck. My gutt feeling is carburation. I'm sure someone on this list can help.

I noticed you are in Lancaster, PA. I live 2 mile from Lancaster county, south of Reading. Due to an active family, I don't get much leisure time but did you check out the central PA countryside ride that has been posted since April. There still isn't a confirmed ride date but looks like maybe Labor day time frame. If I get my bike running I'm thinking about going. Hopfully your bike is also running and you might consider going along. We could meet somewhere if you want.

I'm not a mechanic but I've been through the bike a lot lately and I'm willing to discuss anything concerning my experiences with the GS1000.

Talk to you soon.
    RockinGS

Comment

With every thing you have done??? I would go to Ebay and find a set of coils for late Bandit, or GSXR. The coils could be breaking down under load causing weak spark

Comment

Try this on a long shot: try the voltmeter-goes-wild thing but instead of the voltmeter, use an AM radio tuned to no station. If there's an unusual amount of static, that would indicate that the ignition is at fault. Perhaps some conductor is almost broken. Anyway, RF interference is particularly caused by high voltage, high frequency arcing. Maybe it's not the bike but something near the bike. Is it close to any transformers?

If the radio shows no problem, your voltmeter is a freak and needs to be replaced.

Your bike isn't parked near the Bermuda Triangle, is it?

Michael

Comment

Thanks for the replies. rockinGS, I'll have to look you up once I get it running right. Thanks for the radio suggestion mopolopo. I might try it, but I'm thinking that I'll just take it to a shop nearby and get raked over the coals. I haven't been able to touch it since past weekend, and I can't this weekend either. I don't know when I'll get to it and I am tired of it just sitting there rotting away! I want to ride! So, rather than make things worse, I'll cross my fingers and take it to the shop. Plus, they have the time, space (not much room to work in the complex parking lot), and I'm sure more knowledge than I!! I was shooting in the dark hoping someone ran into the same situation and said "oh, I had the exact same thing happen and it was...".

Once they find what the problem is, I'll post it. I'll be embarrassed if they say "it was your battery/plugs" or anything like that. My wallet won't be though. Hopefully my gut feeling isn't right that my post will look like "...and they replaced the plugs, rejetted the carbs, replaced both coils, igniter, signal generator, and battery for a whopping $..."

Comment

I feel you on that one Umby.
            I'm doing everything in my power to avoid ANOTHER of those posts.
            My last trip to the shop cost me $470 dollars to balance and tune the carbs, change the rear tire with a new rubber I supplied and check for exhaust manifold leaks.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
            X