GS550L. Keeps stalling at lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L. Keeps stalling at lights

Can you help? GS550. Starts well, runs well, idles beautifully. But when hot it idles for a minute and then stalls. And won't restart. Coughs but won't catch. Once it has stood for a bit away it goes. Only to repeat at the next set of lights. Stripped carbs - all good. What can it be? Plugs or leads breaking down? Surely not since it wouldn't perform so well as soon as it pulls away. Partly blocked fuel tap/ Surely it would idle but starve of fuel under acceleration? Coil? Not sure? Anyone had the same problem?

Overheated coils maybe? Did you check to see if you have spark when this happens?

Comment

I would guess you are too rich on the idle/pilot jets. But just a guess.

Kenny

Comment

i'm assuming you have a 80+ model so you have electronic ignition. the weakest point of the system is usually the original ignition coils. both of my 550's (78-79) shared weak coils which can cause problems when they get hot. usually they are their hottest when you stop and sit at a light.

i suggest Dyna Green coils (www.dynaonline.com) as that's what i've used for the past year. They are great in my opinion, and make startup cake.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
        X