82 GS650E Just bought & lots of Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650E Just bought & lots of Q's

Hi, My older son 24 was looking for a starter bike. I ran across & bought it for both of us. Paid $325.00 for it. 21,000 miles. Runs great. Fairly clean. Fork seals leak. If I bought the seals, are they hard to change out & what should I be aware of when doing. The oil sight glass should be checked when it's not running? When I added oil ( 1/2 Q ) to get it to the full mark, when it's running. It dosen't show in the sight glasss. Normal? Do these have an oil filter? On gas petcock, 1st got it, had to put the lever with the long end to the 3 O,clock position to get gas. Filled it up & gats gas in the 6 O,clock. Didn't know how the reserve works. Should you be using the short pointer for position? Letters on it are faded, or my eyeballs getting weaker. I read the posts on the electronics & supposed to solder the wires at the regulater? Where is it at? I also am getting rid of a Honda 750 ( junk) & was reading about the reg that could be used on the GS. Before I junk it, should I take it off & any thing else? Front tire is recent, but the back tire is dryrot but has good tread. Has a 4.00 x 18 on it. He wanted a rear tire that was like his younger bro's Yamaha R6.

Re: 82 GS650E Just bought & lots of Q's

Originally posted by locodave
    The oil sight glass should be checked when it's not running?
    Correct. And with the bike on the Center-Stand on level ground.
    When I added oil ( 1/2 Q ) to get it to the full mark, when it's running. It dosen't show in the sight glasss. Normal?
    Correct.
    Do these have an oil filter?
    Yes, it is located in the front center of the engine at the bottom. You will see 3 accorn nuts holding the filter cover on. If it has an aftermarket exhaust it may be a pain to get to it.
    On gas petcock, 1st got it, had to put the lever with the long end to the 3 O,clock position to get gas. Filled it up & gats gas in the 6 O,clock. Didn't know how the reserve works. Should you be using the short pointer for position? Letters on it are faded, or my eyeballs getting weaker.
    The reserve is found at 9 O'clock
    Run/On is at 6 O'clock
    Prime is at 3 O'clock
    Only use prime to get gas into the carbs if it has not been started for some time, and do NOT leave it in that position while not in use.
    I read the posts on the electronics & supposed to solder the wires at the regulater? Where is it at? I also am getting rid of a Honda 750 ( junk) & was reading about the reg that could be used on the GS. Before I junk it, should I take it off & any thing else?
    I'll let the electrical guru's answer this. However I would strongly suggest getting a clymers manual if you plan on doing any work on the bike yourself, even if you don't it is still a good place to go for information such as tire pressure, which brings us to the last one
    Front tire is recent, but the back tire is dryrot but has good tread. Has a 4.00 x 18 on it. He wanted a rear tire that was like his younger bro's Yamaha R6.
    I doubt very much you will be able to get a tire like that on these old bikes. I forget what is on my 550, but it is wide and I like the looks of the bike with it. Perhaps I can look it up and let you know. If you run too wide you will end up rubbing on the swingarm which is not good. You need clearance there for tire flex while riding.

Hope this all helps.

Amos

Comment

Thank You Big Red, The only thing on the gas is.-> The small or long side is used. I;E; Reserve at 9 Oclock with the small end pointing at it or the big. On fork tubes, there is a small bolt. A keeper for something or a drain? Thank You, Dave

Comment

I found the arrow. I wanted to know if the 650 is a 6 or 5 speed trans. Dave

Comment

I found the arrow. I wanted to know if the 650 is a 6 or 5 speed trans. Dave
          Kewl.

Anyway, the 650 is a 5 speed. I had debated trying to put a 650 top end on my 550 bottom end to make a 6 speed 650 but the entire 650 was a good running bike, and after taking it out a couple of times, well it screams.

About the small bolt on the top of the forks, are you reffering to the Air valve?

I'll try to pull my manual later and install my scanner so I can scan some pictures so we can make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Amos

Comment

Hi, The bolt I see is on the lower outside of the tube. Close to the axle. I have the tubes leaking & wanted to try to replace the seals. I really should go to the library to see if they have a book on it, but I dought it. A friend told me the seal replacement was easy? I was thinking ither a drain or a keeper bolt so when I take the tube apart with the allen. I didn't want somthing flying out ( inner tube ) & going like a rocket into the neighbors yard 8O Dave

Comment

Hi, The bolt I see is on the lower outside of the tube. Close to the axle. I have the tubes leaking & wanted to try to replace the seals. I really should go to the library to see if they have a book on it, but I dought it. A friend told me the seal replacement was easy? I was thinking ither a drain or a keeper bolt so when I take the tube apart with the allen. I didn't want somthing flying out ( inner tube ) & going like a rocket into the neighbors yard 8O Dave
              Ok, the Service manual I have doesn't say anything (that I"ve found so far anyway) about what those bolts are. I'm trying to get ahold of a clymers manual for the bike but haven't found one in my price range yet.

Hopefully someone else here will be able to step up with the answer here soon.

Amos

Comment

Working...
              X