Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti dive settings

I have a 1982 GS1100E model.
    New forks seals,Progressive springs and 15w fork oil.

I've never adjusted the anti-dive.
    I'm a big person, 260lbs, just over 6ft.
    My wife will be riding passenger a good deal of the time.

The anti dive is on the lowest setting, 1 and it feels pretty good.

Does anyone use this or is it a good idea, and poor execution?
    does it actually work?

Any thoughts or suggestions before I start experimenting.
    Thanks
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Generally speaking, from what I've read. Anti-dive is a bad execution in general. People disconnect the valves on goldwings. If any other bike came with them, the hot ticket always seems to be removal of the antidive valve. ;-) so you're probally doing the right thing.

I'd like some backup on this...

good anti-dive comes from geometry, not valving. Look at BMW front ends, or brittons bike if you want to see good anti-dive setups.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I have a 83' 1100E with anti-dive and left it on. It doesn't seem to bother me whatsoever but I didn't know there were settings on it. I don't really ride it that hard though, I save that for my Bandit.

Comment

I believe the round dials on the forks are for fork dampening, they have nothing to do with the anti-dive system. Try the different numbers 1-4 I believe, hold in the front brake and compress and extend the forks by pulling and pushing on the handlebars. As you do this on the different settings you will feel the difference in how quickly your forks respond.
        Using the air pressure and dampening you have to choose what is the best for your riding style.

As far as anti-dive units, they work fine! As long as they are serviced along with your forks and fork oil on a regular basis. All they do is channel the oil through a different chamber under brake load causing not such a rapid dive of the front end. If you remove them with stock weight oil and springs, your bike will drop 6 inches when you put on the brakes.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Dre

Comment

Dre is right, those are damping adjusters. The anti-dive has no adjustment.

Comment

Thanks for the help with this.

Now it makes sense,,,,,,,and I wish I had an owners manual.
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
            X