starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting problem

hi all. just got back from my first long-distance trip (nyc to north carolina), and the 850 handled it like a champ w/ no problems. did notice something though, that hadn't been there before.

when i try to start the bike (hot or cold), now i have to give it a little gas to start it up (it always starts when i do this though). i know it's not supposed to behave like that, so, where to look? i'm guessing either carbs (most likely) or petcock (probably not?)

also, i know this was discussed before, but, anyway to restore life to an old, mechanical tach? it's fine to about 6.5k, but then it starts bouncing back and forth like crazy...

Bouncing back and forth sounds like a miss fire problem, check the resistance on the coils

To test the coils put one probe of the multitester on each of the terminals on the primary side of the coil. You should get 3-5 ohms. Check the secondary windings by placing one probe into each of the plug wires coming from one coil. Those would be 2 & 3 from one coil and 1 & 4 for the other. You should get 30-50,000 ohms for stock coils and 15-20,000 for aftermarket.

If it bogs down, then its usually the carbs/petcock

At least I think so.

Comment

I assume it is the tach Not the engine from your post . Internal problem with the tach. Turn the tach upside down, keep adding oil into the cable adapter and let it soak (trans fluid) something light. If that doesn't work. IF you are very carefull you can remove the top ring and take it appart for cleaning

Comment

Originally posted by rvahid
        when i try to start the bike (hot or cold), now i have to give it a little gas to start it up (it always starts when i do this though). i know it's not supposed to behave like that, so, where to look? i'm guessing either carbs (most likely) or petcock (probably not?)
        When you say "give it gas" you probably mean twist the throttle, right? That doesn't actually inject gas, it just opens up the throttle valves. The solution, if I may be so bold as to declare it so, is a carb sync. It's a regular maintenance thing as the adjustments eventually rattle and creep out of spec. Mechanically, each of the four carbs have a separate throttle valve, but they are out of line from each other. A carb sync will put them all right so you don't have to tweak it with your throttle grip upon starting. You stand to gain some performance and fuel economy. Good deal, eh?

The problem is getting the carb sync tool, at least that's my current problem... :roll: I got some green comin' though so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the tool. Maybe this one: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...atalogId-10111 Its adapters are the wrong size though. Gonna have to customize it...

If you have CV carbs (you don't say what year your 850 is), read this thread for carb sync instructions, as posted by earlfor: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...light=synching

Good luck

Michael

Comment

thanks for the info, guys... yeah, i'm thinking the problem with the tach is something with the tach itself, and not the engine (i'd be able to tell if it was misfiring, right? i had the speedo pegged at 85 for most of my trip, and nothing really seemed/sounded to be changing with the rpms bouncing)

and, yes, i meant open up the throttle when i start her... how long should the carbs stay synched? i have the vacuum tubes and synched her about 3 months ago. would they unsynch in such a short time? also, would shimming the valves make a difference? i haven't had time or $$ to look into tuning the valves yet...

Comment

oops, i miss read it, i thought you were saying the bike was bouncing back and forth.. my bad

Comment

Get the carb stiks they are much easier to use than the vacuum gauge setup

Comment

excellent... then i'll resynch this weekend and see if i can get something in the tach to clean up it's operation.

thanks for all the help, fellas. ride safe

Comment

Working...
                X