Clutch, Trans or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch, Trans or ?

I just started on my GS1100 project...the first thing I noticed is that the bike rolls like it's in neutral in any gear position? The chain is OK..not broken or anything...and there is loose slack in the clutch actuating arm on the side cover with the clutch lever removed from it's mount? Is there some common to GS problem that might cause this condition. Seems like I read somewhere about countershaft splines going south...or is that me dreaming?...Thanks for any and all help on this project. I am in need of a factory service manual..I'll call the dealer to see if they are still available.
    TIA

Re: Clutch, Trans or ?

Originally posted by Kirby
    I just started on my GS1100 project...the first thing I noticed is that the bike rolls like it's in neutral in any gear position? The chain is OK..not broken or anything...and there is loose slack in the clutch actuating arm on the side cover with the clutch lever removed from it's mount? Is there some common to GS problem that might cause this condition. Seems like I read somewhere about countershaft splines going south...or is that me dreaming?...Thanks for any and all help on this project. I am in need of a factory service manual..I'll call the dealer to see if they are still available.
    TIA
    There was a post recently about drive shaft splines being worn off. Of course, it's difficult to have that problem and have an unbroken drive chain.

You should also get a Clymer or Haynes service manual. I've been pretty pleased with my Clymer 1100 book. It doesn't officially cover my year but it's got lots of useful stuff anyway. (Unlike my 450 book, which isn't very good but is better than nothing I guess...)

Which year, model of 1100 is this? What condition is it? Are you really sure you're in gear (does the gear indicator say so or does it just not show the neutral light)?

Good luck

Michael

Comment

fng. old buzzard

Michael, It doesn't have a battery nor igniton key..yet!....
      I am having trouble figuring out exactly which model it is...the bike was made 3/81 so I figure it's safe to call it a 1981 ...but the model is the part I can figure out. It has a silver motor, black paint with red/orange stripes.
      VIN: GS1GU71A2B2105949
      Motor #: GS110X-129560
      Can you tell me which model it is? I also have pics...

Comment

Just did a little research... It's an E "1981 GS1100EX", unless it had a fairing, in which case it's an S or T (my sources differ on the "sport" symbol), "1981 GS1100SX". But you most likely have the E so the S/T business doesn't matter. The X at the end is the code for the model year, so 81 EX is a bit redundant but most people don't know the codes so the number helps. I have an 82 EZ. So it's like you're my big brother. Although I must say my bodywork is much sexier...

If you would like to fire up your electrical system and have a peek at your gear indicator, you could get a battery or run jumpers from a car. Then just bypass the ignition switch. It is very easy to hotwire. Just open up the headlight bucket and get the green four-conductor connector. On the harness side of it, jumper the brown and green wires together for the lights. If you want ignition also jumper the orange and red.

While I was keyless recently I took apart my old ignition switch assembly and removed the actual switch from the lock cylinder part. I just turned it to run and plugged in my ignition switch whenever I wanted to ride. Talk about sad! So I got an EMGO replacement. Works great. Keyed differently though, and takes a different key blank than the stock ignition. Oh well, helps me keep my keys straight (2 stock GSes plus EMGO ign key!)

Michael

Comment

Working...
        X