Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81gs750L front disk on my 77gs550? Will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81gs750L front disk on my 77gs550? Will it work?

My 77gs550 has the big fat single disk up front which is not vented. I saw an 81gs750L vented front disk that looks nice but not sure if its compatible. I fear that my 77gs550 disk is fatter than the 81gs750L.

Anybody know if I can make this swap or what years models are compatible?

i did the swap with an unknown rotor from a fellow GS'er here. I had him measure it and the only thing different was the thickness between the two was different in some way.

If you can ask this person or measure the 81 rotor yourself you will know if it will work. i will have to go through old emails to see what he said about the brake rotor the first time we measured it.

at worst man, get it and see if it fits. if it doesn't, ebay it. i have a 550 front solid rotor and 83 550 rear rotor to sell still.

~Adam

Comment

Thanks Adam, so even though the thicknesses were different, the new disk worked on your 550 just fine...........correct? Any issues during or since the installation?

yeah......... I'll email the guy and ask him to measure thickness and overall diameter. Just wondering if anybody knew right off.

Comment

yes, the new rotor worked out perfect. i would just make sure the bolt pattern and overall diamter of the new rotor is the same as yours.

if so, you should be in bid'ness

~Adam

Comment

Your 550 disc is thicker. Single discs are thicker to disapate the heat generated by the single front brake. with dual discs the heat is spread between the two discs so they don't need to be as thick. They will work,
          they will be more prone to fading when hot

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            Your 550 disc is thicker. Single discs are thicker to disapate the heat generated by the single front brake. with dual discs the heat is spread between the two discs so they don't need to be as thick. They will work,
            they will be more prone to fading when hot
            Ahhhh, that makes sense. I thought the disk looked fatter than the dual style.......

Perhaps I will get my front rotor bead blasted this winter instead of replacing it. Since mine is not vented, I feel in the rain that its not as good. Not sure if If the vented single disk would be any better. I really wish I had 2 disks up front like on my 1000.

Comment

i have something like 3000-4000 miles this year on my vented rotor that is 'thinner' than the original solid rotor. it works great, do the swap.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
              X