Carb Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Screws

On the bottom front side of the carbs on my 78 Suzuki GS550E, there is a screw (one per carb) in the big manual i have it says to NOT TOUCH these, as they are factory set.

I read on here that they will controll the richness of the fuel mixture. Is this true? Should i adjust them?

I would like to add:

And are these the same as the ones on the engine-side top of my carbs? What do they mechanically do and when do they take effect?

Here in the smaller red circle:

And for comparison, a side shot:

For future reference, are the two circled items in the top photo, plus the idle set screw, the only external carb adjustments?

Michael

Comment

Well, your carbs look entirely different from my 78 gs550E carbs. I suppose this could be a difference in the makes between countries (like I think the ones made for the Asian market had dual front disk brakes, while the US had "economy" models - single disc brake). Or, your carbs may have been transplated from like a 80 or later gs550.

However, I think I may be able to help. Look in your manual for the "air screw" in your carb schematic. If your only looking at your owner's manual, it won't have it. Get a Clymer or Haynes manual. ONLY MAKE ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AIRSCREW TO BE SAFE. It will likely be a brass screw. Turn it in to richen your mixture, turn it out to let more air in the mix and thus lean your mixture.

I beleive the only time you have to adjust the factory pre-set screw underneath the carb is when you re-jet.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
        X