Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid State Relay and Dyna 3

Hello Experts,

Does anyone have any experience with installing a solid state relay to eliminate resistance in the ignition and kill switch so as to not drop voltage to the ignition module and coils?

I've just done this to my 1980 GS1000G and it works great untill I try to shut the bike OFF via the ignition OR kill switch. For some reason the Dyna 3 won't let the contact side of the solid state relay drop out. If I disconnect the Dyna 3 and wire it to the ignition switch but let the SS relay still power the coils everything works. I don't want to leave it this way because my voltage to the Dyna 3 drops to 10VDC when running through the ignition switch and associated wiring. I'mcurrently awaiting a response from Scott at Dynatek to see if they have run into this. I could go to a normal relay, but the SS relay fit so good on the battery box and electronic should be more reliable.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Larry

"I'm not an electrical genius, but I play one on GSR"

Try a diode on the contact side leading to the module (properly rated, of course). That way any backflowing current won't confuse the relay (for lack of a better term).

Comment

That's interesting, I think I have a low voltage problem to my igntion too and would like to hear what you figure out

Comment

I just used a normal relay to run the power directly to the coils. Same as for the third stator wire that used to go through the lighting switch and the main power through the ignition switch. They have been there since 1983 or so unchanged.

Comment

Working...
        X