Where to by seals for top end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to by seals for top end?

Alright, I'm going to take of the heads myself and get it cleaned/ground and the valve replaced. I have two questions: 1) Should I replace all of the valves or just the one (or two) that are burnt? Also, does anyone know a good place to get the seals for the entire tope end? I'm not sure how many there are or what I need. I'm taking off the head so all of the seals involved. Also, is there a good place to order parts online such as the oil filter element, airfilter foam replacements, the o-ring for the oil filter cover, and the oil sump pan plug and seal? What about spark plug wires too?

I dont have one handy, however, in the back of good bike mags like Cycle World, you can order oem parts at a discount. Wish I had more info for you...Its been a few years since I orderd oem stuff..Places like APE, Schnitz and Star Racing all sell gaskets and seals. OIl filters usually come with a new o ring, but the oem one works best all the time. Wires from either oem, Dyna, Schnitz, PR Factory Store. You can replace just the bad valves. i would get a pros opinion on it...While you have it apart, at least freshen the whole works up..Maybe mill that head a fuzz!!
    EULC ON

Comment

Best thing to do is buy a complete gasket set - It should come with all of the seals you need

edit

Comment

The link that Sqdancerlynn1 post is a very good gasket set, and they are good people to deal with. The one thing that does not come in that gasket set is the cam cover seals (the little half moon ones), but they sell them seperatly for about $2 each.

Comment

Looks like Parts-n-More has great prices on gasket sets -- I've used that brand (Athena?) on my GS850 before, and they're OK but not great.

I've been more impressed with the gasket sets from Vesrah, available from Dennis Kirk and many others. The head gasket, especially, is much better in the Vesrah set.

No problems with either, although I did have to get out a Dremel tool once and fix a badly punched hole on an Athena head gasket.

OEM is also good, of course, but very expensive, and you have to remember to order the 4 zillion gaskets individually. Don't count on the parts guy to know everything you need. With OEM, you also run a risk of getting old stock that's been sitting in a warehouse getting scuffed and dusty. It's happened to me.

In any case, the kits do not include carb boot o-rings, which I think is criminal. OEM are only $1.75 each, though. They also do not contain the little half-moons mentioned earlier, but I've never really needed to replace these, either. A thin layer of silicone goop and they always seem to seal fine for me. They're cheap, anyway.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Still having trouble finding valves.

I've taken off the heads and the valves are not in good shape at all. Cylinder 3's exhaust valve was def. burnt and the rest of them were not much better. I'm going to replace them all. The problem is, I am not having luck finding the valves for a reasonable price. Suzuki OEM's are 40 each so I'm looking for some replacements elsewhere. Partsnmore doesn't sell any according to the website. Any ideas?

Comment

Which GS do you have?

It's not listed in your profile or in your questions, and would probably be helpful...

You're probably stuck with genuine $uzuki parts for valves, valve guides, etc. Sounds like you need to start searching for a good used cylinder head and/or seek the advice of a good machinist with motorcycle experience.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have a 1980 GS550ET

I'm still on the hunt for valves. There were a couple on ebay but I'm really trying to find the entire set of 8 at one time. Other than that, I'm set. The partsnmore gasket set will be fine I think. Unless someone here has a head that they want to sell that is in really good shape, I'll just have to hold out til I find the valves cheap enough. I can't afford 36$/exhaust and $20/intake valve.

Thanks folks!

Comment

Working...
                X