Yup...charging problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup...charging problems

Hi everyone! I own a 79 GS750L with charging probs.... of coarse.
    Anyway, I finally got this thing on the road 2 weeks ago and it was working fine. It seemed ok until about 2 days ago.
    A little history.. I got the bike from my brother who bought it in 99. He got a deal on it due to the charging issues. He checked the electrical and found a disconnected wire, he re-connected it and it started charging. He figured that was the problem. I got the bike in 99, road it 3 months with no problems then parked it due to a rusty tank. I fixed the tank, put a new battery in, new pipes and it was all good. Now 2 days ago the battery starts to die. I read some of the old posts and cleaned all the connections, replaced some connectors, charged the battery and checked the voltage with the engine running. It's slowly dropping as I try various things, and reving the engine just draws more voltage, it doesn't increase.
    Any ideas??? I have a manual coming, but I don't have too much info to draw on, and the trouble shooting guide in one of the past posts didn't help me too much.
    Any input would be much appreciated!!
    J.C.

stator papers

Have a look at the stator papers http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm ....Mike

Comment

Thanks! I was wondering about those "stator papers".
      Yup, I think it's the R/R acting up. I'll do some more tests.

Comment

Just wanted to say if it is the R/R Electrex is great put one their R/R's in my750 and it worked like a charm. They are in Calgary and the turn around is fast.
        Ian

Comment

Thanks.... it is the r/r. I've got one off a '77 honda 550 that I'm gonna put on today and see if it works. It's off an old bike I have sittiing in my shed, so it's worth a try for a temp fix.
          If you don't mind me asking... what did the Electrex cost you??

Comment

Well it's in and it's putting out the correct charging voltage according to the stator papers. The only problem is, that it's a non-sealed unit with no heat-sink. I'm going to attach the heat-sink from the old r/r and hope for the best. Well all I can say is... free is a good price.

Comment

I ordered an electrex RR for my 1980 GS750E, shipped to Ontario within 4 days and it cost me $196.00. Works great

good luck
              R.

Comment

Free is a great price!! The $196 is a little higher than I paid but not by much I think mine came in the high $180s the shipping could be the differance in price.
                Ian

Comment

Watch out for a defective Stator. I replaced the R/R in my GS1000G after doing only the resistance check on the stator. The R/R was shorted but after it was replaced, I still didn't charge. Found out the stator was putting out 72 VAC between one set of windings, but only 22 VAC from another. Check out Dennis Kirk for both R/R and Stator. Electrix didn't have the one I needed in stock, but Dennis Kirk did.

Comment

I guess I'll have to save my pennys up, but if the honda r/r last this season, I'll be happy.
                    I checked out the stator and it was ok on both tests... guess I got lucky this time!
                    Thanks everyone!!
                    JC

Comment

Working...
                    X