how wide of a rear tire.. gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how wide of a rear tire.. gs1100e

what is the widest rear tire you can safely fit on a stock 81 gs1100e rear aluminum wheel.. ????????And best too??

"Safely" is a relative term. As you get wider tires on a fixed rim, the curvature of the tire increases. Contact area with the road decreases and steering gets squirly.

So, how squirly do you want it?

Michael

Comment

I have seen in a Japeness magazine, a katana installed a 17 x 6" wide GSXR rim with 190 tire and 520 chain.

Comment

BTW, I have a 170 I think on my 82 1100e. I know the swingarm's been modified but I don't know how much.

Michael

Comment

Oh yes, the one with 190 tire is installed a 92' GSXR1100 swingsrm and special rear shocks, short springs to void up enough space for the rear sprocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Addy Leung
            Oh yes, the one with 190 tire is installed a 92' GSXR1100 swingsrm and special rear shocks, short springs to void up enough space for the rear sprocket.
            And the brake arm needs to be modified to allow clearance.

How about a 130 wide rear on the stock rim?

Are you looking for more cornering or straight line?
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
              Originally posted by Addy Leung
              And the brake arm needs to be modified to allow clearance.

How about a 130 wide rear on the stock rim?

Are you looking for more cornering or straight line?
              130 is also what I have on, 140 could be seriously pushing it, buddy had a early 1100 with a 150 cramped on there, rode terrible and enormous area of the tire was not used.

Comment

Working...
              X