Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing and checking starter motor... cam tensioner q.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing and checking starter motor... cam tensioner q.

1979 GS850G

First, the problem:

I just bought my first GS bike on Tuesday, the thing ran great... though the custom body is a bit off in my opinion. I laid down the cash, brought it home, cleaned the plugs and widened the gap on them just a hair to .031-.032, it seemed to run a bit more smoothly... I took the bike out for a few short rides, totaling about 100mi over the next couple of days. On Thursday I rode the bike to work, as it will be my new commuter (well... everything... I'm done with V-twins) and when I was out to start it up at lunch, the starter motor seemed to have crapped out. It just sounds like an RC car engine when the wheels are spinning freely... the motor seems to work, but it's not turning the engine over.. just spinning madly alone.. I kick started the bike, and rode it home after work.

My effort to troubleshoot:

I get it in my head to remove the starter motor, so I remove the air/carbs w/out a hitch, even remove the starter motor cover.

FYI: motor looks like a POS, but sounds functional, no shorts, etc.

Reading the Clymer I see I need to remove the cam chain tensioner before removing the starter motor for inspection... I don't understand WHY I have to do this, or if I can simply remove the tensioner w/o removing cam chain/cylinder head cover/etc and install it likewise...

-------------

At any rate, I'm appreciative of any help that I can get from you folks.. I have been lurking in this forum for a bit, and had planned to join after I got the bike; it's a shame that my first post had to be of this sort.

EDIT: I should mention that I heard a grind as I went into Gear 1 as I was pulling into the lot the morning of work... I ignored it, but it just came to mind... wondering if I destroyed the gear on my starter...

Update:

I pulled the starter out, checked it, expecting the gear to be totally stripped but found NO visible damage! I slowly pumped the kickstart, and could see the gear mechanism inside the bike turning as well.. It began to threaten rain, so I quickly reassembled the bike and threw a tarp over it... my leg was hurt bad enough the other day that I can't pull it in myself currently..

I did start the bike with the kickstart as a test (using my left foot - very fun) it fired up... though cylinder #3? the last on the right if your looking down at the bike.. wasn't firing properly, and I could hear a ping coming from it... also, smoke was puffing out the back as I revved the bike a few times... great.. a lot of vibration too... probably caused by the missing cylinder though..

Comment

If the starter turns but does not turn the engine Need to check the starter clutch. The starter turns the idler gear which turns the engine. When you removed the carbs any junk that was in them may have pluged the jets. There is a proceedure tpo remove the cam chain tensioner

Comment

thanks, I'll try to check into that tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
        X