Is it the Starter Selonoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it the Starter Selonoid?

When i try startin my bike, all i hear is a lil click coming from the starter. do i need to get a new one or just try and fix the one that i have right now? everything else works on the bike, except it wont start.

check out the starter soleniod first , it is easier to get to, cheaper to replace, also check out the wiring leading from and to it , as this can be a major cause as well.
    Dink

Comment

It's always good to let everybody know what bike you're talking about: year, size, model. Put it in your signature line.

If you have a voltmeter it's easy to check the starter solenoid. Put the meter on setting for 20VDC or 50VDC. Put the black probe on the engine block or exposed frame. Put the red probe on the starter solenoid on the thin Orange and Yellow wire. (NOT the black or fat red one.) Then try to start the bike. When the starter should be turning, the O/Y line shows around 12V. This confirms that the starter solenoid is getting a signal. If you can't get voltage here, you have a different problem.

To check whether the solenoid is working, move the red probe over to the fat black cable running to the starter motor. It also should show around 12V when the starter motor should turn. If your solenoid is bad, the black line will not have voltage. If the line does show a steady 12V, you have a problem farther down the line, possible a jammed or otherwise broken starter motor. That can be checked by removing it and hotwiring it directly to the battery. Watch out for the sparks. BTW, the black wire is the motor's positive supply, and the body of the starter motor is the negative/ground.

Good luck

Michael

Comment

Thanx

Ill try what you all said, if it dont work, then ill be back.

Comment

Make sure the battery is charged

Comment

Working...
          X