Starting a Bike that has been sitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug Wire

Make sure the correct wire for each plug. The number should be on the plug wire.

Comment

Is the idle adjuster turned up enough to allow the bike to start?
      Were the carbs at least manually synched? If they're off quite a bit it won't start easily or at all.
      Do you have the stock air box? Is it connected and sealed?
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

so can anyone help me with the screws in the pictures on page 1, btw thanks to everyone for there help. Im really hopin I can get this baby runnin sometime on thursday or friday, when the por 15 tank liner is cured and I can put gas in it.

Comment

ttt......can anyone help me or is everyone just sick of this thread, if so just say so. But if anyone could tell me what the screws in the picture do that would help alot .

Comment

I'd like to help, but I specialize in the 850 and 1100 GL models. The pictures don't look much like the carbs on my bikes. For needle valve screws, a rule of thumb is to gently take it all the way in, then back it off 1.5 to 2 turns. That can at least give you a starting point.

At this point, I'd suggest investing in a manual. 20 bucks or so will get a Clymer manual--and that's a real good place to start. Another thing you can do is to go to the Bike Bandit web site and look at the schematics they have online. There isn't a lot of repair information, but you can get a good idea of what each part is and where it fits.

When I first decided to get back into riding (and repairing) motorcycles, I bought a Clymer manual and read some if it every night for weeks before I ever posted anything to this site. I've discovered that maintaining a twenty-plus year old bike takes some serious involvement. So be patient and do your homework. You'll get it figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by karl_ibsen
              At this point, I'd suggest investing in a manual. 20 bucks or so will get a Clymer manual
              I have one it is very helpful but on the subject of adjusting the carbs is says something like they are preset and should not be adjusted.

Comment

Ok I am stumped, I think it is either fuel delivery problem. I broke down and used a little starter fluid and the bike started and ran decent for a couple seconds. Aside from that the float bowls are filling up with gas so Im guessing the problem as after that. The carbs are visually synced, the adjustments could be way off though I dont know what each screw does so its hard to get a ballpark setting.

Comment

Working...
                X