Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging insanity

1982 GS1100GK

I had charging problem. Used stator papers, believed I had a weak stator, I replaced same with electrex unit. No change. Replaced R/R with same. Still not showing charged over 12.5.
    I gave battery overnight charge last weekend.

What is next.?

RG

Re: Charging insanity

If you can answer a couple question for me, I miay be able to tell you what is wrong.

1. With the stator plug to the R/R disconnected, and the bike running at 5000 rpm, what AC stator voltage do you have between each of the three stator legs? (if the legs/yellow wires were numbered 1,2 and 3, then you would check AC voltage between 1 and 2, between 2 and 3 and then between 1 and 3. What voltages do you have at 5000 rpm?

2. After checking stator voltages and reconnecting the stator/RR plug, with the bike again running at 5000 rpm. what DC charge voltage do you show at the battery terminals.

3. Do you have the red and black R/R DC output wires connected directly to the battery terminals? They should be.

Earl

Originally posted by rgierer
    1982 GS1100GK

I had charging problem. Used stator papers, believed I had a weak stator, I replaced same with electrex unit. No change. Replaced R/R with same. Still not showing charged over 12.5.
    I gave battery overnight charge last weekend.

What is next.?

RG
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

charging insanity

The stator does not appear to be producing. Is there anything I could have done wrong installing it?

R

Comment

They have been known to ship new but faulty parts.

Michael

Comment

Re: charging insanity

In any kind of troubleshooting or problem analysis, "does not appear" gives no basis to make any assumptions or recommendations. The only way to know if it is working, not working, or to what degree it is working, is to check it with a meter. Until we complete step A, there is no way to go to step B...and so on.

The stator does not appear to be producing. Is there anything I could have done wrong installing it?

Uhhhh, it appears something is not working. :-)

R

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

charging insanity

This is embarrassing. After getting no read from the stator I pulled the cover off and discovered that I had routed the wires in line with the stator cover causing them to be aggressively pinched against the engine case and the stator cover. The rubber mount was not properly positioned and while the wires are not completely broken the insulation is torn and the copper is exposed.

I believe I can salvage this (hoping) I'm thinking I just need to get some high quality electrical tape and cover the wires again and rout in properly before I can assume it is not performing properly.

This may not make sense, so bear with me, if you will.

R

Comment

Yes, you can do a triple wrap of electrical tape to cover the bared wires.
              BUT.........stop making assumptions. The only way to know if something is right is to measure or check it. Appearances are generally worthless.
              Either you know, or you dont know. There is no inbetween.

Earl

I believe I can salvage this (hoping) I'm thinking I just need to get some high quality electrical tape and cover the wires again and rout in properly before I can assume it is not performing properly.

This may not make sense, so bear with me, if you will.

R

Comment

charging insanity

I am not making assumptions. I have worked in government so long that when my a.. is on fire I talk about the possibility of changing position as I leap into a bath tub.

Sorry, old habits die hard.

R

Comment

charging insanity

Truly a wonderful morning in western Missouri.

Strong ac current from the stator, strong DC current to the Battery. The sun is shining. I truly lead a fine life.

Thanks for all of your help!!

rg

Comment

:-) :-) :-) :-) LOL

Earl

Truly a wonderful morning in western Missouri.

Strong ac current from the stator, strong DC current to the Battery. The sun is shining. I truly lead a fine life.

Thanks for all of your help!!

rg

Comment

Working...
                    X