Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

450L air box; foam only, or element too ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450L air box; foam only, or element too ??

my 450L has only a thin gray foam thing in the air box and two plastic grid things, one is white and other is gray.

is there supposed ot be a paper type pleated element filter or anything in it ?

if so then i cant see how any such thing can fit ?

anyone got pics of wehats supposed to be in a stock factory 80 450L box and how it all fits in there what order and everything ??

thanks for anything

Re: 450L air box; foam only, or element too ??

Yeah, that's all mine has. Then again mine wasn't treated so well before I bought it.

Bike Bandit confirms your findings:

K&N has clamp on filters available, these would replaced the airbox and require some in-depth carb tinkering to implement.

The stock filter is only about $9 so if yours is toast a replacement is pretty cheap.

Sam

Originally posted by fast68
    my 450L has only a thin gray foam thing in the air box and two plastic grid things, one is white and other is gray.

is there supposed ot be a paper type pleated element filter or anything in it ?

if so then i cant see how any such thing can fit ?

anyone got pics of wehats supposed to be in a stock factory 80 450L box and how it all fits in there what order and everything ??

thanks for anything

Comment

hum so just the foam and two retainers is stock correct, hmm.. interesting
      should i spray the foam with anything ? maybe WD40 ? or ?
      to help trap dirt particules a little more ?

thanks!
      R

Comment

Originally posted by fast68
        hum so just the foam and two retainers is stock correct, hmm.. interesting
        should i spray the foam with anything ? maybe WD40 ? or ?
        to help trap dirt particules a little more ?

thanks!
        R
        Manual for the 550L which has the same style filter calls for 30W oil, poor some over is and then squeeze out the excess.

Comment

My 81 450S has just a foam filter. When I got the bike the filter disintegrated when I went to check it. I bought a universal foam piece and cut out the correct size. I sprayed it with some foam specifically for this purpsose. Don't know what it's called, but any bike shop should know.

Comment

Try here, 17$ for Haynes and 20 for Clymer. I think this is where I got mine:
            Repair and service manual for 1979-1985 Suzuki GS250, GSX250, GS400 and GSX400 street bikes. Haynes Manuals, Part No. 736.

The Motor Bookstore sells DIY repair manuals for cars, trucks, motorcycles, tractors & more. Shop our selection of OEM, ATSG, Haynes, & Clymer manuals today!

Comment

Working...
            X