spark plug/care& cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark plug/care& cleaning

I am looking for a wide answer base to what is the best way to clean spark plugs. Although this isn't for my 83GS1100E, but for my 76 GT250A. Still a Suzuki although a 2-stroke. It is getting me by while the 83 is getting some well deserved work done. :x
    I don't know whether cleaning or just replacing the plugs are the answer. They are hotter plugs but still need to be changed weekly. Thanx, Doug
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    83 GS1100E(in shop) 76 GT 250A(holding onto my sanity 8O )
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Replacing them would be best, but a trick I learned to bring two stroke fouled plugs back to life, is to get a jar and fill it with vinager and place the plugs in it and alow them to soak for a day or two.

the vinager will eat the carbon and oil residue off and leave the electrode good as new.
    the draw back is it will eat the plating off the metal parts of the plug and make the outside of the plug look corroded.

Comment

Re: spark plug/care& cleaning

Originally posted by crag antler
      I am looking for a wide answer base to what is the best way to clean spark plugs. Although this isn't for my 83GS1100E, but for my 76 GT250A. Still a Suzuki although a 2-stroke. It is getting me by while the 83 is getting some well deserved work done. :x
      I don't know whether cleaning or just replacing the plugs are the answer. They are hotter plugs but still need to be changed weekly. Thanx, Doug
      __________________________________________________ ___________
      83 GS1100E(in shop) 76 GT 250A(holding onto my sanity 8O )
      Clean the plugs? You are obviously not revving the thing high enough! I've got a couple of '73 GT250s with older T350 motors in them. I ride them flat out everywhere. No fouled plugs! Easy! 8)
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Thanks, focus frenzy and mcycle-nut ,for the help. I'm going to try the vinegar trick. Where I live in Vermont I have to get flat out to get thru the hills. I've found that the best range is between 5 and 7 grand. I am running hotter plugs and they don't foul as much. One thing I have noticed is that if I drive 10 miles or more into town,at a constant speed(usually 50) I will end up most times,bogging down and almost not getting home.
        But, when I drive the mountain back roads , she will run great,going thru the gears?
        Any ideas?
        Thanks again,Doug
        __________________________________________________ ___________83 GS1100E,still in the shop /76 GT250A,keeping my sanity :?
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
          Replacing them would be best, but a trick I learned to bring two stroke fouled plugs back to life, is to get a jar and fill it with vinager and place the plugs in it and alow them to soak for a day or two.

the vinager will eat the carbon and oil residue off and leave the electrode good as new.
          the draw back is it will eat the plating off the metal parts of the plug and make the outside of the plug look corroded.
          if i have a set ofc plugs that have almost no mileage on them and do this operation are you saying it is as good or better than sand blasting--except for the fact that the shine on the outer metal parts of the plugs will be gone--it sounds good

Comment

Nice bike, a friend had one when he temporarely lived with me, the thing was tuned to hell and had a racing like paintjob complete with sponsor stickers, screamed like hell and topspeed was something like 110 mp/h!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1100ed
              if i have a set ofc plugs that have almost no mileage on them and do this operation are you saying it is as good or better than sand blasting--except for the fact that the shine on the outer metal parts of the plugs will be gone--it sounds good
              the friend I got this trick from showed me a plug he had done and the center electrode and the insulator around the center electrode looked like new, the out side of the plug, (the metal body of the plug) looked like it was a few years old (the vinager had corroded the plating on the metal)

Comment

Crag . . . Are you sure your oil injection pump is set correctly? If the pump is set OK, try using a different oil for the injection system. You are using a 2-stroke specific oil, right?

Comment

Working...
                X