No announcement yet.

continued overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Earl. I will as soon as possible. I really appreciate everyones help.

I will get it apart immediately, and start looking for a new oil pump.

Thanks again especially to Earl and also to everyone else,
    Billy Miles

Comment

Well I took the oil pump out, and what I have found makes me a shoe-in for idiot of the month. I can't be positive because i did not notice the wear on the outer edge of the clutch basket until it was already apart. I think when I reassmbled the clutch sometime last month, I did not align the tabs on the gear with the notches on the back of the hub.

What I found was the front edge of the basket worn down, luckily not enough to have to replace the basket. However, I also found something else, but it may just be wear from the metal particles going through the engine. In the two tubes behind the oil pump, the metal of the case is chipping off, and the edges of the tubes need to be deburred badly.

All I can see that the basket would have rubbed on is the crankshaft as it spun. There doesn't seem to be a matching wear pattern on anything else.

So my plan is to wash everything I took apart with brake cleaner. Remove the oil pan and try to flush the tubes behind the oil pump out with oil or brake cleaner . Also, check the tolerances of the oil pump, and replace if necessary. File the edge of the basket smooth, and reassemble. Am I missing anything?

The only problem I have with this is that my bike overheated though not to as high a degree before I removed the clutch the first time. Also, there were fine metal particles in the oil before the clutch work as well. The tubes behind the oil pump look rough like a bad casting so I cannot be sure of the actual original source of the metal.

I will try to get some pics, but I do not know if that will be possible.

Any suggestions?,
      Billy Miles

Comment

Billy, I would be inclined to stick with flushing with oil. I keep coming back to the same two possibilities. Either the oil pump is not working, or the pickup is blocked.

One other possibility..........your guage isnt working. Although, it should be easy enough to directly measure the oil temp with a candy thermometer or baking type.

Earl

Originally posted by 78gs550
        So my plan is to wash everything I took apart with brake cleaner. Remove the oil pan and try to flush the tubes behind the oil pump out with oil or brake cleaner . Also, check the tolerances of the oil pump, and replace if necessary. File the edge of the basket smooth, and reassemble. Am I missing anything?

The only problem I have with this is that my bike overheated though not to as high a degree before I removed the clutch the first time. Also, there were fine metal particles in the oil before the clutch work as well. The tubes behind the oil pump look rough like a bad casting so I cannot be sure of the actual original source of the metal.

I will try to get some pics, but I do not know if that will be possible.

Any suggestions?,
        Billy Miles
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X