Should I restore my 85 700es?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I restore my 85 700es?

Hi Folks, Just got back into biking after a number of years. Have a new Kawasiki Concours. Cleaned up my old 700ES today. I would really like to restore it as it was a great ride and a really good looker. I'm just a backyard mechanic. My bike is complete with 14,000 miles, but it has not run for at least 10 years. I found service manual for about $60. The carbs are off bike. It has been sealed somewhat, but I worry about moisture that probably has gotten into engine. Anyway what does anyone have to say about restoration. I would do most of the work myself except serious engine repair if needed. Should I sell it for parts? I would hate to but does it make more sense? Any advice appreceited.
    Thanks

If the bike is complete with all parts, I would say to put it back on the road. Non-runner is worth $300-500 in parts, with $1000 invested(tires, chain, carbs, gaskets and other misc) you have a runner worth $1500-2000. These were great bikes, easy to tune and wrench on. Check out Billy Ricks' GS700 for inspiration, my 1983 GS750ED is being rebuilt as we speak. Also, If your carbs are shot, early (1986-87) GSXR carbs work great, are easily found on ebay, and bolt right up. Good luck, Ed.
    Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Comment

HELL YES!!! Put that bike back on the road!!! I am resto-modding an '83 GS750ED, and I am having the time of my life! I am only 22, and think that these are some of the coolest bikes ever. They ride so good man! :twisted:

Comment

Remove your spark plug and place a tablespoon or so of engine oil in each cylinder, leave it overnight, then remove the ignition cover( on the RH end of the crank as viewed from the seat) there is a 19mm nut on there , fit a socket and socket drive and see if the engine will turnover, if it turns over relatively easily by all means ressurrect it , if it is very tight parting it oyut may be the way to go.
        Dink

Comment

Uummm,... Isn't the clutch on the RH side?? I did that same thing you are tallking about Dink with my bike, except I used WD-40 and PB-Blaster in the plug holes. I pulled the left cover off, and used a 19mm I think,... The only reasong I am saying this is because a GS700 is the same as my bike, except for less bore and stroke. :twisted:

Comment

Thanks to all. I will drop some oil in engine tonight. If it turns over manually i will give it my best shot at restoration. From reading through some other post it looks like some OEM parts are still available. Amazing. Also saw the bit about using aftermarket electronics. Great website. I think I'm going to have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by slowfoxbird
              Uummm,... Isn't the clutch on the RH side?? I did that same thing you are tallking about Dink with my bike, except I used WD-40 and PB-Blaster in the plug holes. I pulled the left cover off, and used a 19mm I think,... The only reasong I am saying this is because a GS700 is the same as my bike, except for less bore and stroke. :twisted:
              Clutch is the right rear cover. Timing and crankshaft are under the right front cover (with the SUZUKI symbol).

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mopolopo
                Originally posted by slowfoxbird
                Clutch is the right rear cover. Timing and crankshaft are under the right front cover (with the SUZUKI symbol).

Michael
                I second this quote from mopolopo

Comment

Yeah, I knew about that one, but when I broke my engine loose, I didnt want to f**k up the timing, so I just pulled the stator cover, and used the big bolt under there. I guess either side could be used though huh? You dont have to make a new gasket if you use the RH side, but my stator cover was leaking at the time too, so I just killed 2 birds with one stone. :twisted:

Comment

Please,please,please. DO us all the favor and restore.
                    You can never just get rid of a GS. Save it, restore it, resurrect it. 8) 8) 8)
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Use of WD-40

WD-40 is a solvent. Using it to bring back an engine that has been sitting for a long time has good points and bad.
                      It will dissolve deposits, if there are any. But it will wash them down the cylinder walls into the oil distribution system.
                      It is very volatile. We use it on diesel engines as a starting fluid instead of ether. It is so light that it evaporates when on open surfaces. Form this reason, air tool repairmen say emphatically, "Don't spray it in air nailers or air rachets, as it will ruin rubber o-rings."
                      Use sewing machine lube oil or "3 in 1" oil instead of WD-40.

Comment

Just got around to ordering manual today. Could'nt find a cheaper one anywhere. Engine did turn over easily after soaking with ATF per sugestions. Wish me luck. What do you guys do with chromed covers. Some are pretty ratty looking. I have started detailing small parts. Until I get carbs set and engine running I'm not going too crasy. If I can get bike running I will do tear down and serious restoration. Thanks again for eveyones encouragement.

Comment

Congrats on starting the restoration. I too am restoring a gs700e and have almost finished it. All I have left to do is get the side covers repaired and repainted. They have a few small cracks. I wish I would have checked here earlier and I could have have recommended a guy on ebay selling factory service manuals on two CDs for $20 for the gs750/700. They are great manuals and the detail is wonderful. I got one from someone else for my TL1000s and it was definately a low resolution scan but the one I got for my GS was great and much cheaper than the paper manuals. I too am thinking of ways to restore the engine covers that look ratty. Right now I am thinking that powerdercoating them black is the best option. You could have them repolished or even chromed if you wanted to though.

Comment

Working...
                          X