clutch cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch cable

hello everyone, my gs 750 has the hardest clutch squeese, compared to other bikes, is there a way to fix that?. Specially when I am tired, it gets to be drag.
    Any suggessions?

ard

Re: clutch cable

Originally posted by ard
    hello everyone, my gs 750 has the hardest clutch squeeze, compared to other bikes, is there a way to fix that?. Specially when I am tired, it gets to be drag.
    Any suggestions?

Ard
    Make sure it is routed without any sharp bends, especially with different handlebars this can happen, also under the gas tank. Lubricate it, take it out of the handlebar lever and point it up wards, make a funnel (I use wide tape for this) and poor engine oil into it, let it leak down and keep filling it up, it can take a while but keep doing this till it comes out the other end. If your cable is worn out or rusted this won't help much though, also you can have heavier springs in your clutch which cause this.

A good 750 clutch is not very heavy.

Comment

clutch cable

Hi robin, thank you for your responce, what is the advantage of heavy clutch spring?
      Also there was someone from the GS group, selling clutch ease device, do you know anything about that?

Ard

Comment

robin has agood idea.

Another way, less mess and time is to purchase cable lube spray with the
        power attachment. This clamps onto the cable and allows the spray to go directly into the cable casing.
        Less mess and less time. Same as Robin's idea, just some one is making money this way

We use this setup on the class bikes and works very well.
        These bikes are subjected to more abise than a personal bike is and tehy hold up well.
        There are different manufacturers of cable lube and the power attachment comes with some of them.
        Any bike shop will carry it.

As to heavier springs in the clutch, this means the plates are making a better contact. More pressure into the plates forces them to rub together or make better contact.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I've got Barnett springs in my clutch, as the clutch wasn't engaging positively during high rpm shifts. Yes, the lever pull is stiffer, but I get a more positive engagement. I also had to get a thicker cable made, as the stock ones are just eaten by the stiffer clutch. Another thing you might check is where the cable rides in the lever perch. I found my cable was getting hung up on the adjuster, so I bought a brass one and made sure the split in the adjuster was always pointed towards me to give the cable more room to move. If you look as you pull clutch in, the cable tends to move towards the bars. 8)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Ard, also make sure the cable has a little slack. At the outer pinch point where the lever meets the lever holder, there should be about 2-3mm of gap before you start feeling the tension.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

clutch cable

Thank you all for your info, I was out riding today it was very good weather innorth east I did not want to miss on the nice day, first thing tomorrow I will start working on the cable to see if I can change the pull.
              I will let you know.

Ard

Comment

If I were you, I'd get myself a brand new cable. Lube it after you install it, and keep it lubed regularly.

Better yet, buy two of them and keep a spare handy. I do.

Nick

Comment

ard, the cable adjustment should be quick and easy. If you don't have any play at the lever or not enough, just loosen the knurled ring a couple of turns and turn the threaded cable end in (clockwise) a little, just enough to have proper slack I mentioned. Then finger tighten the knurled ring while holding the threaded adjuster from turning further.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

when i replaced my clutch cable along with cable lube i put some multi purpose greese where the cable goes into the handle & it worked like a charm 8)

Comment

Working...
                    X