Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS1000G carb question for the experts here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G carb question for the experts here.

First this sight and the advice passing along here is excellent.

Secondly, to the problem at hand.
    BACKGROUND: the bike is a 1980 gs1000g. when i picked the bike up it ran rough and when you laid on the gas it would fall on its face and then run like a bat out of you know where. when i popped the bowls to check the jets etc. i found that the floats were way off flooding the cylinders and the jets were different sizes. the part for the float pins were broken, a real mess in there.

i needed carbs so i picked up a rack off an 83 gs1100 from a local salvage yard. thay needed cleaned so i cleaned them. i put them back together and it still runs like poop. the carbs had 113 jets in them so i put 115 jets in and still poop.

HERE'S WHAT SHE DOES: the idle is okay and it'll rev to around 4000rpm in nuetral no load on motor. then it boggs down and will die if i keep throtle open. (kinda like it's not getting enough fuel or somthing)
    i have not touched the factory set mixture screws (they have probably been monkeyed with by a previous person)
    please advise on what to do next. i'm at my limited whits end

thanks for the help in advance
    shane frazier (gs1000c-cad-guy_

Sounds like you are starting to run lean...more air flow but not enough gas due to either the needle being in the wrong position or the main jet is undersized (or both).

Hap

Comment

Waitaminute. Are you running the stock airbox or pods or what?
      Cause I thought those carbs came with stock 107's in them.

115's are going to need some sort of aftermarket filter that flows more air to compensate for the increased fuel flow if those are not the stock main jets.

Dm of mD

Comment

BONE STOCK BRO... UNI FOAM FILTER...

I AM GETTING CLOSE TO GETTING IT STRAIGHT..

Comment

Working...
        X