Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how many quarts of oil......??

:?

how many quarts of oil go in a '85 GS450 L. no bike manual and need to change the oil.

thx

Rosco :?

Look on engine case, near the oil fill cap, may find something like "3800ml" (like on my GS850G). 1000ml is a little more than a quart.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by REDMAN
      Look on engine case, near the oil fill cap, may find something like "3800ml" (like on my GS850G). 1000ml is a little more than a quart.
      So that's what that means! I was pretty sure I wasn't riding a 2600. (Grin)

If it's any help, that's what's marked on my '82 450T.

Dave

Comment

thanks butis 10w-40......

thanks for the information, but my bike calls for 10w-40 and i put in mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50 ...... is this ok or should I only run 10w-40 from now on??

Comment

15w50 is pretty thick stuff. Probably doable for the summer heat. Thins it out. But you should stick with the recommendations on this one. There was a big long thread on this a few months ago. Probably purged by now...

If I were you I would either change the oil again and/or use it but be sure to let it warm up before you ride it. The 15w oil will be harder to push through the system on startup.

Michael

Comment

thx

thanks.... I will definitely let her get warm in the mornings. thanksfor the information.

Comment

Re: thanks butis 10w-40......

Mobil 1 15w50 is an excellent choice. I run that in both my bikes all the time.
              It will run a little cooler than standard 10w40. You will not have any problems with it.

Earl

Originally posted by rosco
              thanks for the information, but my bike calls for 10w-40 and i put in mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50 ...... is this ok or should I only run 10w-40 from now on??
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

My 1100 takes 3000ml. This is about 3.8 quarts.

There's a paragraph in the manual that describes oil filling that goes something like this: Fill till the oil is at the top of the sight glass. Run the engine for a few minutes to fill up the various oil cavities. Wait a few minutes. Then add more oil so that the level is again at the top of the sight glass. It's also a good idea to check the sight glass before every ride.

I buy Castrol 10-40 in the 5-quart containers because it's cheaper in bulk. I use the procedure above and just open a new container as needed. It works for me.

Comment

Just to stir things up, the 650 calls for 10-40.

I ran 20-50 in it year round.

Comment

i'm running 10w40 in my lawnmower, because my bike oil was the only thing I could find, and I didn't wanna run to the store

Comment

Working...
                    X