what the f#$& ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what the f#$& ??

ok what the hell is wrong with my carbs. ive been re-jetting my 750 ef lately, an iv gained a good bit more power, but it has never been right on the money. the bike has 4-1 pipe an emgo filters. i got the full throtle diled in good with 123 mains, an the needle clip 1 grove up from the bottom notch. now heres where my problem comes in. ive been adjusting my air screws an i cant get them right. i got her idling smooth an returning back to idle nice, but if im driving slow like 5 kmh an wack open the throtle she hesitates an barely has any power. i let the bike sit an idle for 5 min an then checked my plugs an they were perferct color. then i went for a drive an i was just crusing at about 1/4 throtle and decided to kill the engine an check the plugs , an they are black an sooty. so what gives? can anyone help me please??

thanks for all your help guys i need it bad!!!

I"m in the EXACT same boat as you.
    Emgo pod filters, stage-3 kit, 132 Dynojet mains and i can't get the mixture screws set right. It's always too bloody rich.

I'm going down to 122.5 mains and 1 turn out on the mix screws later tonight. Something has to work.

If I learn anything I'll post it here and let you know. Maybe together we can get rid of this GS750XX carburetor curse. It seems like only the 750's have this hellish freakin problem.
    :roll:

:x
    Dm of mD

Comment

try taking the filters off and see how the bike performs with out filters. this is a test if it works better you may need filters that flow better. k and n's solved my problems.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
        try taking the filters off and see how the bike performs with out filters. this is a test if it works better you may need filters that flow better. k and n's solved my problems.

-ryan
        I second this opinion. K&N's are worth the money. The other filters seem to make jetting more difficult. The K&N's flow better too. Why try to save money and not get as much power as possible out of your pipe/pods mod'? The money you save does'nt matter, especially if you're keeping the bike for some time.
        Let's have an Emgo pod filter bonfire party! :twisted:
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I tried Uni's on my 700, and had the same issues, then I found a deal for some K&N's and upgraded. I had to reset my jet kit, and the problem got better, but didn't go away totally. I really think a Dyna 2000 would work wonders, as you could adjust the timing curve. I found that as soon as the timing advanced I'd get power back. Another possibility would be to elongate the holes on the timing plate, and advance the timing overall a few degrees. I sold the bike before I tried any of that though. A quick fix that does work, but isn't a solution is to drop the front sprocket a tooth. It doesn't fix the problem, but you go thru the problem area so fast that you hardly notice it.

Comment

OK here we go;
            On my GS1000 I've got pods, bought em new and I have no idea what brand they are. They are tapered and have chrome ends on em. They were also $16.50 each instead of $50.00 each they wanted for K&Ns. I took them to Canadian Tire where they have the K&N tester for air cleaners. We compared my filter to a K&N and the ball in the chamber might have been 1/2 inch higher with the K&N, not a huge differance for the money, and as I clean my filter's regularly and oil them anyway, I've never noticed any draw backs with these filters. I don't know what carb size or differance there is between the 750 and 1000, but I run #115 jets and have the clip on the needle down ONE notch from stock. My bike also has a Mac 4 into 1 pipe. My bike has a rich smell to the exhaust and I have tried every way posible to tune this out, I don't think you can, so as long as it idles ok, don't worry about it. If your plugs are black at 1/4 + throttle I would think you should move the clip UP 1 notch and see what happens. I found the easy way to do your pilot mix screw was to set the air bleed screws on top to 1.5 turns out from bottom and then reach under and turn your pilot screws in untill the motor falters. Turn them back out untill it just evens out and leave them at that. Remember for your pilot mix screws your moving them from a "upside down kind of direction" so make sure your turning them counter clockwise to turn them in.

Comment

That's an interesting way to adjust the pilot (underneath) and side air screws. I don't do it that way but...
              By the way, you've got that pilot screw turning procedure backwards. Turning the pilot screws IN is clockwise. This leans the mixture.
              Remember the old saying: lefty-loosey, righty-tighty. OK, that embarrasses me.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Winter
                OK here we go;
                On my GS1000 I've got pods, bought em new and I have no idea what brand they are. They are tapered and have chrome ends on em. They were also $16.50 each instead of $50.00 each they wanted for K&Ns. I took them to Canadian Tire where they have the K&N tester for air cleaners. We compared my filter to a K&N and the ball in the chamber might have been 1/2 inch higher with the K&N, not a huge differance for the money, and as I clean my filter's regularly and oil them anyway, I've never noticed any draw backs with these filters. I don't know what carb size or differance there is between the 750 and 1000, but I run #115 jets and have the clip on the needle down ONE notch from stock. My bike also has a Mac 4 into 1 pipe. My bike has a rich smell to the exhaust and I have tried every way posible to tune this out, I don't think you can, so as long as it idles ok, don't worry about it. If your plugs are black at 1/4 + throttle I would think you should move the clip UP 1 notch and see what happens. I found the easy way to do your pilot mix screw was to set the air bleed screws on top to 1.5 turns out from bottom and then reach under and turn your pilot screws in untill the motor falters. Turn them back out untill it just evens out and leave them at that. Remember for your pilot mix screws your moving them from a "upside down kind of direction" so make sure your turning them counter clockwise to turn them in.
                Damnit, you know what. I never see ANYONE with CV carbs post detailed information like this....EVER!!
                What the hell...I mean come on. There must be a CV expert somewhere?!?

Dm of mD

Comment

i got cv carbs
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x

Comment

Didn't fulfill the second requirement though.

Dm of mD

Comment

what do you need to know?

-ryan
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x

Comment

The commonly experienced and accepted settings for a GS750 with pods, 4-into-1 exhaust and stage-3 kit.

Dm of mD

Comment

to bad i don't have a 750, only a 550 with cv's and 1000 with vm's

-ryan
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x

Comment

That's okay. I can still put the info in the CARB-Tuning Matrix I'm trying to compile in my other thread.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                            X