Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"TheGSResources Carb Jetting Matrix" Idea - Please

Originally posted by gstaylor
    '79GS750E When I changed to Emgo pods and Yosh race pipe my mechanic gave me 112s and the bike ran OK. If you go with K&N you will have to put that 115 back in most likely. We need to set up a post for different bike models to list mods (air intake and exhaust) to get a starting point for jetting our bikes for similar mods. On the volusiaownersleague.com there is a jetting matrix plus people post what pipes and intake mods they did and what jet, pilot jet and needle position they are using. There is no reason why we can't start something like this and get it pinned to the top of the page.
    Please, do you all think that we could possibly do this?

Everyone knows that the settings recommended by the Jet-Kit manufacturers are totally worthless.
    Please, for the sake of people like me who haven't really ridden their bike in the 7 months that they've had it...
    Could we please please please please put together a matrix for this information?

I can host a spreadsheet on the internet if someone can put it together and then submit information. If people will email me their info or post it here I will drop it onto the spreadsheet and post a link to the spreadsheet.
    Detman102@yahoo.com

The info I need is:

-year and model of bike
    -pods/stock-airbox?
    -exhaust
    -coils
    -carb type
    -jet kit manufacturer
    -actual jetting (IE: Mains, pilot jets, turns out on mixture screws, float height)
    -Maker of jets (IE: Mikuni, Dynojet, ETC...)
    -Height above/below sea-level (if known)

Please everyone, I'm requesting this as humbly as I know how and I'm completely sincerely honest about putting this together. It is the one thing that the GSResources doesn't have and Thank you GSTaylor for coming up with the idea. Perhaps if we can get everyone's input in this a lot more of us will actually have rideable bikes.

Thank you,
    Sincerely,
    Dm of mD
    Detman102@yahoo.com

Given the fact that more hi performance aftermarket parts are available for our beloved 1100's than any other bike I think that this is a great idea.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

Me too. That's why i'm praying for full participation.
      So far, no responses with info.

Dm of mD

Comment

You'll get mine for my '77 GS750DB as soon as the bloody exhaust arrives from V&H - I've only been waiting 10 weeks!!!!

Comment

First, I think this is a good idea. Would have been very helpful to me a long time ago. Secondly, it's been so many years ago that I installed my jet kit and all there are going to be a few gaps to fill.
          But here goes.

1982 GS1100EZ
          K&N pod filters
          Vance & Hines Supersport Exhaust with the small diameter restrictor that you purchase seperatly.(used to have a Kerker meg. Didn't make much difference)
          Andrews coils. (not sure if they're still available)and Accel wires
          Carbs are stock. (except for jet kit obviously)
          Dyno-Jet carb kit
          Main jets are what came in the kit. (I don't remember the size)
          Needles position... Not sure at the moment. I know it's one of the middle 3 positions though.
          Pilot jets are 42.5 I believe. (I went up one size from stock) (Mikuni)
          Mixture screws are 3.5 turns out
          Float height is 22mm
          Also I live at about 80 feet above sea level.

Please understand that I put all this together back in 1986 and after leaving the sanitarium most of the horrble flashbacks are gone.
          This info should get someone else well into the ballpark though.
          I don't think the exact settings as these would get the exact same results as mine anyway. Hope this helps someone from pulling out hair and throwing wrenches and all.

Comment

jetting matrix

Great Idea since I'm on the "need to know" level as well. Jeff Tate mentions something in his posting that is a key factor not mentioned in the info request by Detman101. and that is altitude!. I live in the Canadian Rockies so it has to be a consideration of jet selection.

lookin' forward to the outcome of this

Audiodoc;

GS1100ex Calgary, Alberta. Canada

Comment

Thank you Jeff Tate and AudioDoc.
              I will add in height above/below sea-level.

I agree, this matrix will help us all to get these crazy carbs jetted right.
              It helps immensly to have case by case info for the future GS generations to go on.

Think of it as looking out for our own future.

Dm of mD

Comment

Detman, I'll post mine once I get it completely right. Not much sense in posting if it isn't running perfect.

Comment

I'm starting to wonder if anyone on here has a bike that is running right. Lol...seems these GSs don't do well with the backyard mechanics. At least not me. There's something the shop guys know that we don't that makes them able to set these things up perfectly.

Dm of mD

Comment

I think they just get good at it from doing it over and over on so many bikes and keeping records of what works on different bikes.
                    I had a jet kit and a set of pipes installed on my Vulcan Classic about four years ago by my local dealer and they got it spot on the first time by the looks of the labor costs. $180.00 at $70.00 per hour! It was well worth it to me. Also on older bikes like ours there is the distinct likelyhood of something being out of kilter on the bike that is unknown like small air leaks in the intake tract or the like that will have to be tracked down and fixed before everything works like it should.

Comment

Well, that's great and all but their experience isn't helping us here if we don't know what they did.
                      Everyone shares everything else but is carb work so secretly guarded that no one wants to give up the settings?

:?
                      Dm of mD

Comment

I certainly would, but I haven't done anything drastic yet... thanks for the effort tho, I may just need it someday!

good luck too!

Comment

I'll post my info when I get it running again. I have K&N's, stock cams, 1166 kit, and V&H SS2R exhaust. Right now the mains are 142. I live at 6200'.

Another month and I'll have good data for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                            I'm starting to wonder if anyone on here has a bike that is running right. Lol...seems these GSs don't do well with the backyard mechanics. At least not me. There's something the shop guys know that we don't that makes them able to set these things up perfectly.

Dm of mD
                            I have to say that I think there are quite a few people here that have bikes that are running "right". Yes, it is a PITA to keep pulling the carbs off to change jets and settings, but by systematically going through the procedure you can get it right. I think a lot of people have other problems that make getting the jetting correct much harder than it should be.

I put a Dynojet kit in my '83 1100E and followed the instructions and troubleshooting guide and it runs VERY "right"! In fact, it 'carburated' better than my new '04 Yamaha FJR1300...........until I installed a Dynojet Power Commander and installed a fuel map that did away with all the EPA lean problems. Now they both run "right".

Joe
                            IBA# 24077
                            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

If I made $75.00 an hour tuning carbs you're darn right I'd make it as mysterious and terrifying as possible so everyone would want ME to do it for them. I think tuning carbs is what you do if you get sent to Hell and then get paroled or whatever they call it.

Comment

Working...
                              X