Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge reads low under throttle

With the tank full...

When I push it and am really flying the gauge drops way low...

As my speed levels off or I slow down the needle makes it way back up(to about halfway or so)...

When I stop it will reach its proper level.

Anyone else have this? I figure it?s just something that I'll have to live with caused by the type of float in the tank. Any other explanations?

Thanks,
    Drew

Re: Fuel gauge reads low under throttle

If you rev the bike up to say 5000rpm in neutral does this affect the fuel gauge? The reason I ask is the fuel sending unit is a variable resistor that changes with fuel level, but on the off chance that connections aren't perfect and the change in current/voltage with alternator output *might* affect it.

Of course I could be competely wrong....

Originally posted by Bunt1981
    With the tank full...

When I push it and am really flying the gauge drops way low...

As my speed levels off or I slow down the needle makes it way back up(to about halfway or so)...

When I stop it will reach its proper level.

Anyone else have this? I figure it?s just something that I'll have to live with caused by the type of float in the tank. Any other explanations?

Thanks,
    Drew

Comment

I am not sure this will help, but...

I had the same problem with my oil temp guage after I cleaned out the female connector to get a better connection. What was happening was that the connection was loose, and under high revs inertia pulled the connector away from the connection on the temp sender. Then as I slowed down it would slip back into place. I tightened the connection and all is fine.

On another note, I also had a problem with lights on my instrument panel coming on intermittently. I cleaned all of my wiring conections and no longer have the problem.

Billy Miles

Comment

I'll check the rpms/guage tonight, I never looked before. And I'll check my wire connections also.

Drew

Comment

Now I don't claim to be a "smart guy" but it has everything to do with where the fuel tank sending unit is. And when you get up to those speeds that only a GS may see all the fuel goes FLYING to the back of the tank.
          We're all just lucky the force doesn't blow a hole in the tank and stink up our crotch.

OR, at high speeds some sort of allian life form takes over GS motorcycles.

Rico

post; this happens often in boats too. Without baffles in the tank fuel just sloshes around........

Comment

So what are you doing staring at your fuel guage when accelerating? LOOK AT THE ROAD!!!!!

Seriously, you need to figure out if it's just fuel sloshing around and away from the float (live with it) or if it's some electrical problem that may be tied to increasing vibration, irregular voltage, etc.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

fuel sloshing

I go along with bwringer & rico. Since the pivot for the sending unit is at the rear that means the float is toward the front when you're pulling hard the fuel will go toward the rear and cause the float to drop.....Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Rico
                Now I don't claim to be a "smart guy" but it has everything to do with where the fuel tank sending unit is. And when you get up to those speeds that only a GS may see all the fuel goes FLYING to the back of the tank.
                We're all just lucky the force doesn't blow a hole in the tank and stink up our crotch.

OR, at high speeds some sort of allian life form takes over GS motorcycles.

Rico

post; this happens often in boats too. Without baffles in the tank fuel just sloshes around........
                My gs reads diferently when i go fast. Lots lower.

Comment

I just disconnected mine as it was totally useless. If I can work out how to use it as a volt guage it will be far more useful.

Comment

Working...
                  X