does anyone use supertrapp 4-1 exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone use supertrapp 4-1 exhaust

I've just bought a 1980 GS1000G. It didn't run (or at least not very well). The carbs where dumping gas all over the place and I think that there was more gas in the block than there was oil :? So i've torn it all apart and im reworking everything- reseating the valves, new rings, gaskets and redoing the carbs too. The bike came with dyna coils \/ and some generic brand of 4-1 pipes that have holes in it and are banged up a bit. It didnt look like the carbs have been rejetted (but someone got alittle bit crazy with the ajustments) and it still has the stock intake.
    I have a set of 4-1 supertrapp pipes that will fit it. Ive been all though the forum looking for anyone even mentioning anything about supertrapp and found very little. I know that V&H and Mac are great pipes but what about the supertrapps that i have? I would like to set them up for stock and then later after I break in the engine i would like to go to air pods and a jet kit. I am hoping that the supertrapp pipes will suport both stock and jetted. So my question is are supertrapp good pipes and if i decide to use them i need a starting point- how many disks should i start with for a stock setup and will they work well with a jet kit and air pods? Any info, suggestions, ideas or just would like to knock on me a bit, would be welcome.

Supertrapp

I had a Stainless Supertrapp with external discs on my wife's 1150 and tryed it on my Kat as well. It was a nice pipe and very light. The problem was I almost scraped thru the collector where in branches into one.

Right hand turns with the supersport setup (oil access) caused the pipe drag when cornering hard.

I tryed the pipe with and without the discs and noticed some differences in the powerband and noise. I never really settled on setup but recall running them with no discs with a stage three kit.

You'll more than likely need to bump up air/fuel, jets and raise needles to get optimum performance even with a stage 1 semi-stock setup. The pipe alone will lean out the jetting as you probably read previously here.
    Carter
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I've had a Supertrapp Stainless system on my '83 1100E for about 15 years. I love it. It's light, good looking, never rusts, and is tunable for back pressure and noise level. I have never had it scrape and it gives me full access to oil drain plug, filter, and retains the centerstand. I've aslo got K&N pods and a stage three jet kit. It runs great, sounds great, looks great. Click the link on my signature to see a pic of my bike and the pipe.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Hell, if you can find one for sale anywhere for these bikes you'll be lucky.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
          I've had a Supertrapp Stainless system on my '83 1100E for about 15 years. I love it. It's light, good looking, never rusts, and is tunable for back pressure and noise level. I have never had it scrape and it gives me full access to oil drain plug, filter, and retains the centerstand. I've aslo got K&N pods and a stage three jet kit. It runs great, sounds great, looks great. Click the link on my signature to see a pic of my bike and the pipe.

Joe
          Joe the bike looks GREAT!!! the pipes look just like mine. just a few more questions. It looks like you still have some disks on them with a stage 3 jet kit how many are you using?and do you have dyna coiles if so where did you get the yellow sparkplug wires (i liked that too)?

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
            Hell, if you can find one for sale anywhere for these bikes you'll be lucky.

Dm of mD
            Would you belive me if i sayed that a guy in a suzuki shop gave them to me. At the time i was working on my 1980 GS550L. He didnt know if they would fit it and he wasnt using them. At the time i was working for frito-lay and his wife loved Roled Gold pretzels so i traded pretzels for the pipes. The best deal ive ever got.

Comment

Originally posted by justice
              Originally posted by Joe Nardy

Joe
              Joe the bike looks GREAT!!! the pipes look just like mine. just a few more questions. It looks like you still have some disks on them with a stage 3 jet kit how many are you using?and do you have dyna coiles if so where did you get the yellow sparkplug wires (i liked that too)?
              Justice,

I have always run disks on my Supertrapp pipes (I've had them on several bikes.) I haven't counted lately but I think I have eight disks on the GS1100 now. I prefer to keep the bike reasonable quiet while still having that performance sound.

The wires are Accel 9mm wires that came with my Accel Super Coils quite a few years ago. You can still get them, I believe.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

supertrap pipe

I have a supertrap on my 78 gs1000e and I love it,great sound and nice and light, mine never has a scraping issue

Comment

I'm using 20 plates on my 83 1100/1260and 15 on the 82 1000 Kat.The 1260 sounds great and "GOES" and wants to keep on going.I have one for the 1150 too, but its a pain in the but. I have to completly remove it to change the oil.

Comment

Good pipes. They sometimes do not have oil and filter access. Much better pipe than a MAC.

Comment

Working...
                    X