question about choke position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about choke position

good evening, ladies and gents! 1st post on this site, new rider to the gs family, and all of your posts have helped me out tremendously, thank you all! Now for the question at hand, I've recently purchased a cherry '78 GS 750(cherry, exc. for carbs), the Clymer manual i have says that for a warm engine the lever should be in the up position, down for cold. Is this true? It runs fabulously when its down, idle skyrockets to upwards of 2500 r's when up.Do i need to re-adjust the idle screw above the carbs while the choke lever is up? Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated! P.S.: The carbs have been completely rebuilt and readjusted w/ exception of jets, the guy i bought it from put a V & H 4-into-1 header on it, but didnt re-jet it(judging by the bright blue color of the headers)I pulled the baffle and it runs a ####load better, just a ####load louder....anyways PLEASE HELP ME!!!

thanks in advance, steve-omaha, ne E-bomb:crazytireheadboy@msn.com

I believe that the correct position for bike to run is down and to choke is up. The RPM's seem fine. By moving the choke knob slowly down after you start your bike will allow the bike to warm up so that it will idle and run properly. If you try to run with the choke lever in the up position you will be running with the choke closed and running way to rich.

Randy

Comment

Unless you are in the Antartic or Alasaka, this time of year you should
      be able to use full choke for 1 min the lower the choke and use
      the throttle to take off.

A Blue pipe isn't always an indication of leaness especially on aftermarket
      pipes.
      Do runs at different throttle openings then stop and do plug checks
      to see if you are running lean/ rich or just right.

Gods Peace
      Mo

Comment

I think it's legs spread shoulder width, knees slightly bent, arms extended, and one hand kind of overlapping the other, both thumbs to the inside... oh wait...

Comment

Working...
        X