starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter problems

hi i m new here, hope everyone have safe rides but fun rides....
    1)

my problem is that my stater will not turn the full cycle to start my engine, it just stops and drains the battery, i pulled it out of the engine and it turns fine, so i put it back in the engine casing, and yet it wont start, check my celenoid coil and it s clicking, so i figured it s not that.... :twisted: :twisted: so now i have to push start my bike, very old school racing style

2) could i drop my stater from my gs 750 (84) in my gs 1150 (86)
    or i m just crazy
    skylabb montreal canada

Re: starter problems

Originally posted by skylabb
    hi i m new here, hope everyone have safe rides but fun rides....
    1)

my problem is that my stater will not turn the full cycle to start my engine, it just stops and drains the battery, i pulled it out of the engine and it turns fine, so i put it back in the engine casing, and yet it wont start, check my celenoid coil and it s clicking, so i figured it s not that.... :twisted: :twisted:
    That's hardly a conclusive test. Read here for how to properly test: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...olenoid#223455

A shorted solenoid may do exactly what you're describing. Could still be a jammed starter motor. Did you just look over the starter motor or did you test it?

Michael

Comment

I noticed that you didnt state any voltage readings, so either you already know thats okay, or maybe you havent checked that.
      Assuming you havent checked that (my appologies if you have): first need voltmeter to check charging system (and battery voltage) before concidering if the starter is bad.
      Charging problem and/or weak battery can act alot like a weak starter.
      Get a volt meter to check out charging system first, or else you will be spending a lot to just guess about what to replace first and then next.
      Maybe borrow a friends meter or borrow a friend that has one.
      Measure charging volts at battery with bike running (mid range rpms), measure battery volts after bike off for a while, measure battery volts while cranking. Check out the troubleshooting chart in the 'gargage' section like other have suggested. Then we can tell if its charging or not, then know which way to look: at charging system, the battery or the starter/solenoid.
      Maybe try swapping batterys rather than starter between bikes.

Welcome to the forum.
      You will be amazed at the amount of knowlodge and helpfull comments you will get (especiually if you can provide more specific observations such as volt readings).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

thankx

hi and thankx everyone for the info i will check my coil, i know my battery, is good i checked it with a meter, so know i m going to check my coil and so on , i love my gs 1150 86 but it has been a hard relationship, and it was getting better until that. i guess i ll stay in the gs family a bit longer, could go in the bandit or sv family

Comment

Working...
        X