No announcement yet.

Pulsating headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're correct. The headlamp is not shut off all the way when the modulator is doing its modulating.

Nick

Comment

isn't some of it just the shaking of the bike changing the exact angle we see the light reflecting from the cone? like when they hit a bump and it "flickers"?? makes it look like it's modulated?? I think I've seen this on a lot of newer rocket bikes?

seems like not all those people are so safety oriented to buy and install (or have installed) such a device!?!?

Comment

When a bike hits a bump and the headlight seems to flicker, the "flickering" is inherently irregular. The headlight modulation has a very fast rhythm. It's easy to tell a modulated headlight from one that flickers incidentally.

Nick

Comment

right, that's what I've seen more of myself. I mean really, all the shorts and T-shirts, sandals and no helmets, I don't think I'd believe one of em if they told me they had a modulator installed!!

Comment

What's funny is to see the squids on racing-type sports bikes ride, as you say, in shorts, sandals, t-shirt -- and a full-face helmet!

I see that in Maryland, a helmet-law State, quite often. I laugh...

I don't know which is funnier -- the clones on Harleys or the clones on crotch rockets. I'm an equal-opportunity laugher.

Even funnier is when they're mixed up in the same group. Each has to have a certain approved look and behavior pattern. They're all tough individualists, ain't they?

Laughing Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
              I have a modulator, and it didn't cost me much -- just a little over $30 on eBay. It's wired to my high beam, and it has a light-sensitive device that makes the headlight circuit bypass the modulator when the ambient light level goes down.

One thing I like about the modulator is that cages will often move over and let me (and the group I'm leading) get around them. They probably think I'm a cop. It works.

No difference at all in the life span of the headlight bulb, by the way. I recommend a headlight modulator highly.

They're not a new idea, as I've seen them on motorcycles since the 70's.

Nick

No, Nick the reason they pulled over was the word printed on your windshield:

POLITE

Comment

Mine was free

My bike had a "Q Switch" Model MC2000 modulator installed when I got it last year. Don't know if they are still manufacture it or not. The manual says it goes from high to low beam two times a second or something like that. Like Nick says, some cagers react as if they think I'm a cop. But there are still those who seem to be oblivious to my presence. Mine is wired to the high beam only. I nearly flipped out the first time I kicked the high beams on. Thought I had a serious grounding issue. After the initial shock I noticed the box mounted on the lower left side of the fairing with the toggle switch on it. Then decided to read some of the manuals left in the trunk by the previous owner. As for the crotch rocket riders, I'm baffled AND amused. Harley riders? You can't take em as a whole, just individually.

Comment

I use headlamp modulators on two of my bikes. As safety enhancements, they're cheap even at retail, but I bought mine for about one-half price on Ebay.

I'm convinced that other drivers are more aware of my presence as a result. In the city, I see drivers (puzzled or thinking I might be a cop) stop and yield in situations where they would usually roll thru' stopsigns or change lanes into my path, etc. Oncoming autos on undivided, rural highways are checking their speedometers, and slowing before they come abreast of me, and seem less inclined to pull into my lane to pass other vehicles. As to what the experts believe, I haven't learned of any definitive study capturing hard data on the safety benefits/risks. Some MSF instructors recommend modulators, but others (like my wife's instructor) discourage them, saying that "target fixation" might cause drivers to veer into the motorcycle's path. If target fixation was that big a concern, I'm surprized we've always been advised to wear brightly colored clothing! As I said, I don't believe there are any definitive studies, and I think MSF instructors and others are only offering opinions, no better informed that I.

By the way, two more motorcyclists died this week in BC. One a couple of blocks from my home on Wednesday after striking an auto, the second died in a single vehicle accident on a rural highway 50 miles from here. Excessive speed was evident in both cases. Slow down! The big daily (Vancouver Sun) reported this morning that BC is on track for record numbers of dead riders this year! Most of those accidents will be the RIDER'S fault. Many fatal accidents will be single vehicle accidents.

Comment

Working...
                  X