How to keep nice bike nice? 80 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep nice bike nice? 80 GS850G

I'll describe some of the things I do in an attempt to keep bike in good appearance, what else can anybody suggest? Well, other than keeping in storage.
    - When keep in garage, I put a couple layers of thick towels over the tank and fenders, not only to keep off dust, but to protect against damage from getting scratched or dented with bicycles, shovels ectera.
    - WHen parked outside (at work) for more than an hour or so, I'll cover tank with t-shirt (has plastic magnets sewn in to hold inplace) to reduce the sun exposure. Maybe put gloves over speedo-instruments to reduce sun fade there also.
    - And of course keep after the rust with chrome cleaner, keep tank & fender waxed, plastic treated with plastic protectorant (opps, lets not get into an ArmorAll discussion again).

Anybody else have any comments about what they do?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Nice bike Other than keeping it dry, out of the sun and waxed/polished I don't what else you could do...(The stuff your doing to keep it up sure seems to be working)

Comment

Oh, other things:
      - THis I learnt this one too late: Dont have metal key fob, and dont have other keys with ignition key. They will mark up the instruments and/or the dash panel and/or the lettering around the ignition switch. Just have ignition key only by itself, or maybe a soft plastic key fob.
      - Place towels on tank when doing anything with tools in the area. Place towels and plastic sheet over tank and front fender if doing anything with front brake resivour.
      - My wife reminded me of this: Crab, complain, snarl and scowl at anybody that places anything on the tank or even handles something above the tank (like handing over the gas pump nozzle, or handing back my camera). Okay, she is being scarcastic, but that is what I have done before. Latley I think I have been nicer about it. Apparently she remembers the time she had some friends over and somehow a couple kids climbed over bike (previous bike), 2 kids, 2 scratches, Arrugh (and that was about 15 years ago).
      - I do enjoy the bike, and do ride it regullarly, dont think I am fanatical about its appearance, but dont want to needlessly degrade it either. My previous bike got tank, instruments and fender sun faded, had scratches on tank and fender from what I might call "garage hazards". Am just trying to reduce the chances of that happing to this one. Any other suggestions of what you do?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ride it often.

Yes, this IS an appearance tip. If a tree falls in the forest, etc... if a nice bike sits in a garage, does anyone see it?

A garage door doesn't add to its appearance, since nobody can see it. Let people see what style and understated taste looks like on a motorcycle. There's so little of it on the market anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr
          Ride it often.

Yes, this IS an appearance tip. If a tree falls in the forest, etc... if a nice bike sits in a garage, does anyone see it?

A garage door doesn't add to its appearance, since nobody can see it. Let people see what style and understated taste looks like on a motorcycle. There's so little of it on the market anymore...
          Along that line of thinking I was on a vintage motorcycle ride a couple of weeks ago and someone had on the following tee shirt that pretty well summed it up...

"RIDE EM, DON'T HIDE EM"

Comment

Basically, protect it from the sun. UV is relentless and ozone depletion means it will get worse, not better. It is particularly brutal to plastic, rubber, and painted surfaces.

I always park in the shade and in consideration of where the shade is going to move. **BIG CAVEAT: don't park under an oak tree while it is producing acorns.** I realize that shade is a rare option west of the Mississippi.

I have intentions to fashion myself a mini-cover that would just protect the top part of the bike and shield its most vulnerable surfaces. I have intended to to that for about 15 years now, but I'm sure I will get to it soon.

I buy spray bottles of UV protectant to treat my tents and any outdoor fabric gear I own.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

they make a UV protectant for rubber, vinyl, etc called 303. I use it for the rubber gaskets on my kayaking dry top, but it's for everything. I sprayed some on my front tire just for sh!ts and giggles and man it looks nice!! (or at least the half a side I sprayed, I bought the stuff for kayaking!!) but it's supposed to help with rubber drying out and cracking, as well as UV. probably find it anywhere, but a paddle shop may know for sure!!

Comment

I am lazy so I ride it until it gets ugly then I restore it.
                So far it has been working out great for me

Comment

ride em dont hide em. wow, well put.

i like my bike to look nice, but i never it want it to be a show bike that's so clean it looks like it never touches the road!

Comment

Working...
                  X