Smokin' GS850, Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokin' GS850, Help!

I have a 1980 GS850G with 60,100 miles on it. Unfortunately I have to drive it in very heavy traffic at low speeds. This causes the engine to get pretty hot each afternoon. The morning commute is quicker and cooler, so no problems to report there, only in the hot s-l-o-w afternoon ride.
    Anyhow, toward the end of each evening commute I can see smoke coming from the engine. Some is from the engine breather hose that goes to the air box. (As expected.) However the front left valve cover seems to have some oil seepage and that is burning as well. There is also a much more slight oil seepage and burn off along the front at the gasket where the cylinder block meets the engine block.
    Possible causes and solution would be appreciated. At 60k, is it nearing death? Could I keep an eye on the oil consumption and get through the summer? Is my use of the GS as a daily commuter a bad idea and killing it? Oh yeah I use Mobil 1 15w50 based on the manual?s recommendation for heat.
    Patrick

Add a good sized oil cooler if you are going to be in traffic, you can cover it in the cold weather Have you considered adapting a fan from a water cooled bike . ? If you take the fan option I would turn the headlight off. I would also run the idle up about 200 rpm

Comment

Thank's Lynn. I am afraid that a fan mignt not be as efective as is needed. This thing gets HOT. Where should I start looking for an inexpensive oil cooler. I am trying to keep everything about this bike cheep, and if a solution to this is going to be expensive, I'd rather trade it for a bike more adept for city riding. But I do like this bike.
      Any thoughts on the valve cover seepage. Is this somewhat normat, or does it mean there may be a problem there too?
      Patrcik

Comment

Could the bolts need tightening/torquing?

Dm of mD

Comment

If it is that bad ? Look for a cooler for an oil cooled motor The adapters for hookup can be found on ebay, the type that replace the oil pressure switch assembly, look up terry's oil cooler in the forum, If you do this make note the oil level will not be accurate you will need 1/2 - 1 qt extra oil depending on the cooler figure $150 As much as I like my GS, you need to get a water cooled bike OR move to California where we are allowed to split lanes

Comment

The more I ride the more California looks like a good option. The oil cooler may do the trick. This bike is fantastic in the cool morning with much less traffic. It just sounds and feels so sad in the afternoon heat and traffic.
            I may have to investigate the oil cooler. I am also thinking about going back to dyno oil. I have sread some other threads that talk about synthetics seeping no mater what. I can say the seepage and smoking was much less with dyno oil.
            Can you recomend a good watercooled bike that would be almost just like a GS850, but not.
            Patrick

Comment

I got the seeping problem with my car when I tried synthetic oil.
              It seems that stuff clean and clears out the old buildup that the dino juice makes on the other side of the gaskets. Once that buildup is gone you either have the choice of retorquing everything down again, replacing every gasket or stop using the synth stuff.

I chose to stop using the synth stuff after 20 miles of weeping oil in my car. Never going back until I get a brand new car. It just isn't worth the headaches and oil problems.

Dm of mD

Comment

Motor Smokes When Hot

I have the same problem on my 1982 GS850GLX with 50K miles and I have never used synthetic oil. You just need some new gaskets is all.

Comment

Problem is that I did not have any oil loss before the Synthetec, and now it flows fairly easily through all the gaskets. I have gone back to Dyno oil and we will see if it helps. Unfortunately, I think the damage is done and I will have to pull the engine apart to replage the gaskets as you sugest. With 60k miles that probably meand a complete rebuild which I am certainly not interested in doing. Man I hope the seeping quits.
                  Patrick

Comment

As quickly as it started, it has now stoped. I drained the Mobil 1 (waist of $20.00) and put in some of that High Milage Dyno Stuff. After a few rides, the oil seep has stoped completely. I have heard a ton about oil on this forum and I am not sure what or who to believe but I know this. For my bike Synthetic is bad. High Milage Penzoil is good.

Comment

Working...
                    X