Chain and back Tire ... ?? Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain and back Tire ... ?? Alignment

How tight should a chain be??? and is it o.k. for me to align my back tire .... or should I have a bike shop line it up. I lined it up myself and test drove it... not much vibration @ 60 mph, ....does that mean its ok?? its not rubbing the frame, chain guard, or swing arm parts.

Those are all good signs! Your manual will tell you how tight to make your chain...I liked to have about one inch deflection, right in the middle, with someone sitting on the bike...You can line your back wheel up yourself...use the hash marks on the arm to get close...Then double check with a ruler from a fixed point on the bike. I used to measure off the back of my swingarm to axle center. You can do crankshaft center to axle center, swingarm pivot to axle center...I know they make a tool just for doing that. A friend had one he used to set up his race bike..I dont know who made it...I think Harley has a rear wheel alignment tool. If you can see a picture of one, you could make it yourself.
    EULC ON

Comment

Your manual will tell you how tight to make your chain...I liked to have about one inch deflection, right in the middle, with someone sitting on the bike
      And loose is better thant tight (wait, that came out wrong... ) for chain life and performance. Too tight will eat a chain in no time, regardless of how well it is cared for. Loose makes more power and lasts longer. Can't beat that...

Mark

Comment

thanks guys

thanks guys ... i felt that it was just too easy and maybe I should pay someone to check behind me, but forget that it seems to be fine.

thanks

Rosco

Comment

Working...
        X