Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any pros cons about metric bolt sets on ebay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any pros cons about metric bolt sets on ebay?

A newbie here and was wondering if anyone can share some thoughts on whether or not to buy metric bolt/nut sets that is listed on ebay. Last night I was thinking that it would be nice if I could just buy a complete bolt and nut set for my project bike, then came across these sets. I'm sure they may not be the highest quality, but for non-stressed applications I believe they should be fine.
    Can anyone shed some input? Thanks. Jim

I think the outfit I bought from was in Canada, so I'm not much use to you. Plus, the new ones were allen head, to replace the beat up phillips on my 750e. Bolts on a GK aren't phillips and don't really need replaced unless they got damaged somehow(I see they advertise sets for GKs). The bolts I got were good, was very satisfied.

Comment

Just my 2 pennys.

Not that hex heads are bad BUT, I myself replace bolts with allen heads.

Just nicer in many ways

Rico

Comment

No sharp edges, positive tool engagement... ;-)
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

To generic. You'd probably only use less than half of them on your bike. They're all the same size. He could easily sell the same thing and say they work good for repairing all kinds of cars trucks and buses.

Comment

I bought a set for a bike I'm working on. The hex head is a definite advantage. Another good thing is that they're stainless steel, meaning there's not much chance of corrosion. The vendor I bought from is in Washington State. There are other vendors, so I can't comment much about that. I do know that the set I bought has different length bolts.

I think it's definitely worth doing.

Comment

My best luck has been at Trustworthy Hardware, but now we have an Ace Hardware in the neighborhood, and it looks great for metric hardware selection.

I always pick stainless steel when I have a choice of material. I've broken a couple rusty bolts and that's a couple more than I'd like to.

I will also cast a vote for the hex heads with flange on the outside of the bike. The flange keeps the head size down and acts as a washer for a good, solid lock. I like the hex because of the use of sockets, which are leaps and bounds over screwdriver heads (My 450 has them. I loathe them.) I also prefer hex over Allen heads because I don't have any Allen bits for my cordless screwdriver.

Michael

Comment

I'm interested in any ideas for a quick and dirty (yet quality) metric set of bolts/nuts/fasteners...

... mostly because I utterly dispise and hate my local hardware stores. They are ridiculously worthless when it comes to getting anything metric. The auto stores aren't much better either.

It galls the crap outta me to have to order OEM stuff at ridiculous prices for lack of an alternative.

Comment

I haven't tried these, but everything I have gotten from them has been good. http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/allen_bolts.htm

Comment

Yeah, I wish someone would make an allen-bit set for screwdrivers, ratchets and electric devices.
                    I went to sears and they looked at me like I was retarded.

8O
                    Dm of mD

Comment

if you guys know the sizes you need you should try www.boltdepot.com i just ordered the button head bolts(allen key) and they fit like a dream the only problem is the heads aren't as big as the oem bolts so you gotta get washers if you want them to fit like the oem bolts

Comment

Be careful of low quality stainless bolts - they will rust and corrode and seize to aluminum. Get either 316 SS or A4 SS. You will see 304 SS or A2 SS turning dull quickly. Also, use Never-Seize to prevent gauling. Do not replace your engine mounting bolts with stainless. Stainless, while harder than normal bolts, is more brittle and will crack due to vibration and non-linear loads.

Hap

Comment

Yeah, I wish someone would make an allen-bit set for screwdrivers, ratchets and electric devices.
                          Take a look at the 100pc set about halfway down the page:

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                            I went to sears and they looked at me like I was retarded.

8O
                            Dm of mD
                            I think they were retarded! I bought a 3/8" drive 8mm allen head socket at Canadian Tire. I'm sure they had a set, but I only needed the one size to get my forks apart. Sears has them, they must! Talk to someone who's worked there for more than a week!
                            Kevin
                            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                            X