Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluid Leak

hello everyone,

I have just bought an '80 GS 850 L, with 37000km , in good condition. I have come up against my first problem, and am not sure what to do,m as I dont have a clymers manual yet.

THere is a tube the is connected from what looks like the cylinder heads, to the air-filter box. Earlier, i noticed that the tube had come free, and there was some yellow substance leaking from the end, so I connected it back to the airbox. But now, the yellow fluid (im assuming it has something to do with gas and air intake) is slowly leaking onto the gearbox, making things messy and I dont quite know what to make of it. I think it might be that the tube is clogged, or that I may need a new air-filter (already ordered one).

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

yellow substance coming from the crank case vent indicates mousture in the crank case.
    I asume you primaraly just do short rides?
    a good long ride (30 minutes min.) will help stop this problem, you need to get the oil temp up high enough to cook of the bad stuff, (water, acids from combustion by products) and short rides don't do that.

Comment

The yellow goop is water mixed with oil.

focus' advice is exactly correct. You might change the oil if you haven't already

Make sure the tube between breather and the airbox is good.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

/

Thanks.....

I put on about 1300km in the last week, and the problem seems to have been curbed.

Comment

Working...
        X