higher speed cruising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

higher speed cruising

is it typical to have the exhaust screaming, tach @ 4,000, speedo @ 60 m.p.h? went out for a lenghty cruise last night and i thought she was gonna blow

IIRC the redline on these bikes is somewhere in the 8-10k range, depending on displacement.

4000rpm at 60mph sounds about right... if the bike is geared to do 120-150mph depending on the model.

You also didn't mention the model of bike you're riding so that's another question entirely.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

4000 RPM is *NOT* "screaming" for these engines, regardless of size. I just got back from a ride on my GS1100GD, and as always, at 55MPH, my RPM's are at 3500.

It is best not to "lug" your GS at low RPM's... run it up to at least 5000-7000 RPM's when shifting. Don't be afraid to twist it up, it isn't a V-twin!

Comment

Yes, I'd be surprised if your exhaust was "screaming" at 4000. If you're new to bikes the rpm range might be a bit of an adjustment. Goes a heck of a lot higher than a Chevy V8. And a WHOLE lot faster :twisted: !

I hear that the race replica bikes don't really pick up power until 5000 rpm and thengo all the way to redline at 16000. Talk about scream!

Michael

Comment

higher speed cruisng

thanks everyonje for your input, i am new to the bike world, it is a 78 gs 750e...these things handle like a dream....i am proud to be the owner of this bike[/i]

Comment

Hey, welcome then!

You'll notice that we are a safety-minded bunch so I am obligated to tell you to enjoy your new bike, but take it easy. Crashing isn't so much an if question as when. And statistics say that "when" is most likely on your first six months of riding any given machine.

So be careful out there, enjoy, and welcome to the forum!

Michael

Comment

Re: higher speed cruisng

I have a 79 750. 4000 rpm at 60 is a nice-n-easy all day long cruise for that bike. I dont like to cruise it at anything over 6000 for extended periods, but its fine at the rpm also.

Earl

Originally posted by hemp_1
              thanks everyonje for your input, i am new to the bike world, it is a 78 gs 750e...these things handle like a dream....i am proud to be the owner of this bike[/i]
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

higher speed crusing

mopolopo, thank you for the advice...i've certainly read up on the stats...and im watchin' my a@# when im crusin'...i was almost ran over this evening after scootin around town. I stalled the bike and she wouldn't start back up(stator, or r/r) and some dingleberry in an H2 was right on my heels honkin, yellin, screamin...all he had to do was get in the other friggin' lane!!!! WHAT A JACKASS!!! :x
                P.S.: glad i have a kickstarter

Comment

Re: higher speed crusing

Yeah, watch your back. A bike up ahead looks small and sleeping, cell phone yapping cagers cant tell the difference between you being 1/4 mile ahead and 100 feet. They come on like a freight train and then jamb on the brakes and ride your ass. Damn, I wish I had a pair of rear facing sidewinders on the bike.

Earl

Originally posted by hemp_1
                  mopolopo, thank you for the advice...i've certainly read up on the stats...and im watchin' my a@# when im crusin'...i was almost ran over this evening after scootin around town. I stalled the bike and she wouldn't start back up(stator, or r/r) and some dingleberry in an H2 was right on my heels honkin, yellin, screamin...all he had to do was get in the other friggin' lane!!!! WHAT A JACKASS!!! :x
                  P.S.: glad i have a kickstarter
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

You have to watch your a%%. BIG sig alert today on the freeway Bike rider got hit from behind flew to the other side and was run over RIP
                    it was also hit & run???

Comment

Aim for the tires.

And mount the loudest horns money can buy. Point half of them backwards.

Michael

Comment

Hello Hemp_1,

Welcome to the world of the GS. I felt the same way when I switched over from riding cruisers to my GS750L. I was so used to shifting at 2500 with my vulcan750 and so used to that quiet engine that when I rode my gs and tried to shift it all the time at 2500 rpm it would bog down and cut off even! I thought there was something wrong with the engine.

But the great people on here taught me to rev it up to 6 or 7 thousand rpm and then shift and that was when I really realized how amazingly powerful and perfectly balanced these bikes are!!!

So yeah, rev it up and don't be afraid of the sound of the engine. These bikes rev up to like 8000 rpm safely and can run there all day.

Good luck,
                        Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                        X