Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little capacitor on the end of my stock coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little capacitor on the end of my stock coils?

I'm still waiting for the coil I got off ebay (and wondering if it will work) but my coils have these little capacitors at the end of them. The coil that doesnt work's capacitor gets white hot and the coil that works's capacitor stays cold. This is obviously the problem, just wondering what those things are.

Do tell? A capacitor should never get hot. I wonder if it's shorted & bypassing the coil. That's a pretty common failure mode for a cap.

Can you read the ratings on it? You might be able to find a replacement (at Radio Shack of all places!) and try it out. You might not need the new coil.

Ordinarily, for a small bypass cap (that's supposed to cut down on electrical noise) you can remove a suspect one temporarily. However, in the case of an ignition system I'd be a little more cautious - if it's there to cut down on voltage spikes coming out of the coil, its absence might damage something upstream (like an igniiton system).

Dave

Comment

Re: Little capacitor on the end of my stock coils?

That would be your condenser. Part of your old points type ingnition system.

Sam

Originally posted by VermontNewbie
      I'm still waiting for the coil I got off ebay (and wondering if it will work) but my coils have these little capacitors at the end of them. The coil that doesnt work's capacitor gets white hot and the coil that works's capacitor stays cold. This is obviously the problem, just wondering what those things are.

Comment

Can I put on a coil without one of those thingeys? I found one off ebay, a RM400 coil and I bought it. It doesn't have one.

Comment

I thought condensers were in the same place the points are, under the cover on the right side of the engine.
          How EXACTLY are these things hooked up? One wire, two wires? How big? Which terminal(s) on the coil are they hooked up to?'
          Better yet, can you take a picture?

Comment

No digital camera

Here is my coil from bike bandit. It's the cylinder on the end of the coil. The coils are externally ground. Two wires come out, and orange and a black on one and an orange and a white on the other. The one with orange and black has the condenser that's shorting.

Comment

Working...
            X