Suzuki/Honda RR swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki/Honda RR swap

My GS1100GD is suffering from the dreaded dead-R/R syrdrome. I would just order an Electrex unit and replace it, but....

I an a cheap SOB and may have an alternative.

I have available a R/R from an '82 Honda CX500, but the wiring is confusing to me. It has the three yellow wires for the stator....simple enough. But..... it also has TWO red-with-white-tracer wires, and two solid green wires, plus a smaller gauge solid black wire. I suspect that I can just splice both red/white wires together, and the same for both green wires, but I don't wanna' fry anything.

Is there any way that I can use this R/R on my bike? If so, does anyone know how to wire it? Thanks in advance...

Re: Suzuki/Honda RR swap

Originally posted by JJ
    My GS1100GD is suffering from the dreaded dead-R/R syrdrome. I would just order an Electrex unit and replace it, but....

I an a cheap SOB and may have an alternative.

I have available a R/R from an '82 Honda CX500, but the wiring is confusing to me. It has the three yellow wires for the stator....simple enough. But..... it also has TWO red-with-white-tracer wires, and two solid green wires, plus a smaller gauge solid black wire. I suspect that I can just splce both red/white wires together, and the same for both green wires, but I don't wanna' fry anything.

Is there any way that I can use this R/R on my bike? If so, does anyone know how to wire it? Thanks in advance...

If the CX500 is still running you could find out with a voltmeter easily enough.

I suspect that the two output wires are one to a standard load and one to an always-on load. The always-on would function as an emergency drain were there too much supply from the stator. Most people put that one to the taillight.

But just a guess.

Michael

Comment

Thanks Michael. The CX500 is long-gone. The R/R is just a spare part saved for potential use.

Comment

Go read scotty's thread. I think it has tips on what to do with the extra wires.

Michael

Comment

Thanks Michael.

Anybody else? Nobody??

I'm gonna' dig out the multimeter today and take a few readings on the Honda R/R, and see if I can figure this out....

Comment

Originally posted by JJ
            Thanks Michael.

Anybody else? Nobody??

I'm gonna' dig out the multimeter today and take a few readings on the Honda R/R, and see if I can figure this out....
            I suppose you probably mean on the workbench, right? I just wanted to warn you not to partially hook up the stator to rr while you test voltages on some of the leads. That's a good way to burn up the whole system again.

Just a note. Let us know what you find!

Michael

Comment

Working...
            X