Rear Brake Master Cylinder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake Master Cylinder...

The rear master cylinder on my '78 GS1000 is toast. I took it off and you can feel that the plunger is no longer attached to the shaft (I am going to assume that is how it is built) and therefore creates NO pressure at all. I am going to the junkyard tomorrow to find one (and maybe a few other parts if they have them), is there an interchange as to what other years would work? Time is of the essence, so ordering one is not an option and I doubt that the local suzuki dealer has it.

I am going to take the old one with me to compare, but I was kinda hoping that maybe someone might know if there are specific ones I should steer clear of and ones I should snatch up in a heartbeat.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Re: Rear Brake Master Cylinder...

Chris, from working on chain drive 8 and 16 valve 750's, 1000's,1100 and my 1150, I believe the rear brake master is the same for those models. At worst, you may need to make a simple bracket (probably a small angle and hose clamp arrangement) to make others work.

Earl

Originally posted by Psychoholic
    The rear master cylinder on my '78 GS1000 is toast. I took it off and you can feel that the plunger is no longer attached to the shaft (I am going to assume that is how it is built) and therefore creates NO pressure at all. I am going to the junkyard tomorrow to find one (and maybe a few other parts if they have them), is there an interchange as to what other years would work? Time is of the essence, so ordering one is not an option and I doubt that the local suzuki dealer has it.

I am going to take the old one with me to compare, but I was kinda hoping that maybe someone might know if there are specific ones I should steer clear of and ones I should snatch up in a heartbeat.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks man! You rule

Comment

Just make sure of the size should be a 14mm bore stamped on the housing You can also take most any 14mm rear master and use the internals to repair yours. I did that to fix my 850, I had a spare one from a 750 that was differen't but the same bore size.

Comment

WooHoo!

'82 GS1100E so graciously donated it's master cylinder to the cause and now I have back brakes!!!!

Wow, what a difference that makes.

Comment

Ya know I hate to go with used mstr cyls. For the simple reason that if one old master cyl can go south, can't the other?

About a month ago my rear cyl. went out on me (78 1000e) and believe it or not the local shop had a rebuild kit ($24). 20 minutes later I was on the road
            with piece of mind.

I'm just a paranoid bastard
            Rico 8O

Comment

My local suzuki shop has 2 things in stock for my bike, jack and ... well you know. I believe the other one went out because it sat with fluid in it for 9 years without moving. Now that you mention it though, I probably should have done my homework first - I paid $45 for this used master cylinder. I did do a dumb thing though. When I put the new master cylinder on, I bled everything, gave it a few test pumps and all was well and headed out to work - completely forgetting to adjust it. So by the time I got to the gas station it was smoking from all the fluid being cooked off of it (I'm an excellent Unix geek, terrible mechanic lately). A couple turns with a crescent wrench and I was good to go, but still kinda dumb.

Comment

Working...
              X