Is ANY oil leak Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is ANY oil leak Normal?

I've just started getting an oil leak from what looks like a breather hose. It's down around where the center stand mounts. After about 40 minute ride to work I get about 2 drops on the ground. Wondered if this is at all normal? Is any amount, wether small or not, normal? I have cleaned and re-oiled the air filter and the air box was totally clean. So this vent, as I understand it, goes to the engine (valve cover or crankcase) and NOT the air box? The bike runs great and I can't see it being a ring issue, but I've not done any compression tests.

I also looked at the bottom of the engine last night and it looks like oil is also leaking from the left side around the shift shaft as well. I have a few qestions on this.
    1. Looking above the shift shaft I also see oil around an oval cover with wires coming out. could this be oil blowing UP from the shift shaft? Or could that cover be leaking? I don't actually see oil, it's just WET up there.
    2. If it IS the shift shaft seal, what all do you have to take apart to replace it? It goes thru the left cover (stator cover?) then into the engine.
    3. I've lost about 1/8 of a quart in about 1000 miles, but it seems to be getting slightly worse. I wonder if going back to 20w50 would help alleviate some of this?

I've read thru a lot of thread on this, but as hard headed as I am, I still have questions.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Re: Is ANY oil leak Normal?

Originally posted by dmplatt

I also looked at the bottom of the engine last night and it looks like oil is also leaking from the left side around the shift shaft as well. I have a few qestions on this.
    1. Looking above the shift shaft I also see oil around an oval cover with wires coming out. could this be oil blowing UP from the shift shaft? Or could that cover be leaking? I don't actually see oil, it's just WET up there.

Thanks for any help.

Dave
    Dave, could this oval cover be the Gear position indicator sending unit? I'm trying to recall, but I don't believe oil should be getting through there. I'm sure someone will be along with the correct answer, just trying to identify the location a little clearer is all.

Amos

Comment

Yeah, I've got the same problem by the gear shifter area. It's been pretty minimal for a while, but now it's gotten to the point where I have to put in a quart of oil every 300-400 miles.
      Maybe the pros can weigh in on this (Earl and others): What about using silicone to plug those leaks a bit? Will that work at all or is it just a waste of time? Replacing the countershaft seal, clutch pushrod seal and gear shifter seal looks like it might be a real headache (based on what I've read in other posts). I've been postponing this till I change the sprockets and chain, but I've been riding so much this summer that I might need to do that by the end of the season (my chain is streching like crazy even though it's quite loose and very well lubricated).

Comment

I'm sure someone will be along with the correct answer, just trying to identify the location a little clearer is all.
        Yeah, a little vague on that one. I'm sure oil is leaking at the shift shaft. There is oil all around the shaft where it comes out of the engine. Usually a drop on the bottom of the shaft as well. I know oil can't travel up, so I figured I either have another leak near the shift indicator cover, or when doing 80 mph maybe oil is getting blown up that way? I guess it could be the other way around. I've read about a cam chain tentioner, is that up near the cover? Maybe it's leaking there and running down to the shift shaft?

Unfortunately I went thru a good rain storm on my way home from work so I'm sure it's washed most of the oil away. I'll check it when it cools down.

However, what about a drop or 2 of oil coming out of the breather hose? The last 2 mornings I've gotten on it pretty hard as I'm also trying to fix the Tach. Both days when I went out at lunch there is about a quarter size oil spot. Probably about 2 drops right under the breather. There is also a small drop on the bottom of the breather tube. I ran an errand at lunch, maybe 10 to 15 minutes and rode it normal, not another drop came out. Is that normal?

Dave

Comment

I've known a mechanic to say the difference between seepage and leakage is in the number of rags it takes to clean the floor. My opinion: I wouldn't worry much about a few drops. My approach is to just try to clean up the engine as much as I can and watch for new oil. I know you're doing that. For only a few drops of oil, I'd just watch it during the riding season and maybe think about a repair duing the winter wrenching season.

One of my bikes starts to seep some oil out of the valve cover gasket when the oil is getting close to needing a change. New oil and the seep goes away for awhile. Is it worth pulling the cover and installing a new gasket. Nope. I just wipe it away with a rag. I do have a little valve clatter that will have the cover off when it's time to wrench again. Now, for me, it's time to ride and oil is still cheap.

Comment

I wouldnt be concerned about 1/8th of a quart per 1000 miles. Normal oil consumption is about a quart every 2000 miles for an engine in perfect condition. :-) When your bike was new, it was supposed to use 4 times more oil than you say it does now. :-) Put a tissue in a baggie in your pocket, and just ride the bike. :-) Wipe when you feel frisky. :-)

Earl
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Worry gone.

Comment

Working...
              X