pulling to the right...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pulling to the right...

Ok, I just put the wheels back on my '79 GS1000L (new tires) and now when I hit the rear brake, the bike pulls to the right. I really didn't have time to get into it, because I was already late for work, but I did notice that the rotor was not sitting dead center between the calipers. What would cause this? My first guess would be that maybe I didn't have the wheel lined up properly when I tightened everything down. But I checked and double checked to make sure that the same amount of bolt was sticking out on each side at the end of the swingarm. Maybe I tightened the chain too much and that is throwing things off? I'm almost positive that the brake was put back on properly. Please help me.

You do have the symptoms of a mis-aligned wheel. The bolts may not be the same size. Check to see if the wheel is actually sitting true in the swinging arm.

Comment

What would be the best way to check that? I guess I could measure in from the swingarm to a point on the wheel... they should be the same distance, right?

Comment

Uhhh, methinks ye needs a brief rundown on aligning a rear wheel.

On each side of the rear axle, there is a small bracket (the one the chain adjuster bolts sticks out from the rear of. If you will look on the left side of the left bracket and the right side of the right bracket, you will see a notch in the bracket. Look at the swingarm flange immediately above the bracket, you will see a series of marks. Usually four small marks followed by a large mark, followed by four more small marks, large mark, etc. Those are the alignment marks for the rear wheel. If you look on your axle bracket and do not see a notch, then you have put the bracket on upside down. The mark is there, but you would need to remove the axle to turn the bracket over. When you turn out the adjuster on the rear of the bracket to tighten the chain, turn each side one turn. that will move the rear wheel back evenly. also, as you are adjusting, watch the notch and the marks. The wheel is straight when the notch points to the same number of marks on each side.

Earl

Originally posted by GSpos
        What would be the best way to check that? I guess I could measure in from the swingarm to a point on the wheel... they should be the same distance, right?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X