Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell which model?

Hi,

I looked at a GS1000 for sale today, (no title) I cannot make out the year and model designation off the neck. How can I tell what year and model it is?

I can read this off the neck "AZ 79111" , there might be two numbers after that , too hard to tell.....
    Also on the neck is "Control 91111"

On the engine is GS 1000-137852

Bike looks like it has the "L" style handlebars but not gas tank, sidecovers missing.....no help there!

Thanks for any info.

Pictures, please. Detailed ones.

Recently we had a person in this forum with questions similar to yours. We were able to help him because of the pictures.

Shaft-driven?

Nick

Comment

I have two shots of the bike, i dont know if they are detailed enough for you to tell or not. Let me work on posting them here, thanks much.

Comment

Ok, heres the two pics

Am i SOL with the numbers on the neck? This bike will need an abandoned
        title..........

Comment

Is chain driven.....

Comment

It's an L model, judging by the leading axel forks and the tank. I wish I could say more, but I just got a GS1000L in similar shape a few weeks ago, and really don't know much about the various years yet.

Guder

Comment

I would say it is a 79GS1000L, looks to have the 26mm VM carbs

Comment

The front is very much an L model. The back? Maybe an E. I couldn't tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like it's chain-drive. The seat isn't that of an L model, but I'm more familiar with the 82 models. I didn't see an instrument cluster. Does it have one?

Just out of curiosity, and if you don't mind my asking, how much are they asking for it?

Comment

karl

i thought the same about the seat.......the back does not have the plastic tail piece....i think the L's dont have those....

300 bucks is the price...
                  i have yet to go back after he gets a battery for it, he says it runs fine....

edit.......no cluster with it, he said its the style that has the guages sorta enclosed in a plastic housing that has neutral, turn signal lights, etc.....

Comment

It looks like a 79 GS1000L (VM carbs, like Lynn said). The seat and the grab rail are not original (Honda?).
                    The exhaust isn't original either.
                    The missing tach and speedo are supposed to be two separate gauges, with a little black console with the warning lights in between them.
                    The side panels, turn signals, speedo cable, chrome camshaft covers (right side) and the chrome airbox covers are also missing.
                    The VIN # should start with "GS1000-L". But that also goes for the 1980/81 types.

Here's a picture of a 79 GS1000L:

If you're planning to rebuild it into the original state, I personally wouldn't buy it. There are too many (expensive) parts missing.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.
                      Having no title, i need to track it down somehow, dont want to pay for a stolen bike ya know..........
                      I dont plan to make it all original, yes, would be alot of bucks doing that!

Comment

Working...
                      X